Chapter 37

The sun is shining bright, but for Mukti the morning dawns with another shock.  Both she and Abhi are trying to come to terms with the robbery and the police investigation, when Mukti gets another shock. She goes numb and is not sure how to tell Abhi about it.  She decides to call Nandu, but then decides against it as she feels that Abhi has the right to know about it first, as it is his child.  Mukti again looks at the positive pregnancy test and is in a dilemma. She knows Abhi is already tensed with regards to the robbery and financial loss and they are in no position now to care for a baby financially.  Plus they are not married.  They have been in love since college days and have been living in for the past one and a half years, but still do not fall in the standard, typical pattern of the social norms.  Mukti's parents are no longer alive, but she has two younger siblings who are studying in a hostel in Panchagani.  So though she has no one to be answerable to, she definitely is the role model for her younger siblings and is responsible for setting standards -- social and personal, before her siblings. Mukti is thinking deeply about this sensitive issue.  The easiest way would be to abort the baby and get on with life as if nothing happened.  The second easiest way would be to grow and nurture the baby with her sweat and blood, bring it into this world, and give it up for adoption.  The third not so easiest way would be to just keep the baby without having to bother about society, to just not give a damn to anyone. The fourth, actually the most logical, but almost next to impossible, way would be to convince Abhi for marriage.  She strikes out the fourth option immediately as she knows his reasons for not believing in the institution of marriage and does not wish to force him.  That leaves three options. After a lot of contemplation, she decides to wait for a couple of days before telling Abhi, which will help her to work out options.  She momentarily thinks of just going and aborting the baby without telling Abhi anything about it. Her chain of thoughts is broken by Abhi who comes and hugs her from behind.

Abhi:  Good morning darling.  When did you get up?

Mukti (composing herself):  Just half an hour back..you freshen up..will get tea.

Abhi:  Filhaal I am in no mood for tea...you know na..morning main I am in a mood for you and not tea. I enjoy our morning time together...

He picks her up and carries her to the bed, but notices something is bothering her.  

Abhi:  Kya hua Mukti?  You not well?  Are you worried about finances? 

Mukti:  Yes..the theft, our finances...

Abhi:  Even I was initially worried. But I know one thing for sure, till we are together, we can conquer everything. We have that fire in us, don't we?

Mukti (smiling tenderly and caressing his cheek):  Yes Abhi, we have that fire. 

Having said that, they are lost in a world of their own.  Later they begin their day -- with Abhi going to the police station to follow up on the progress and Mukti going to office as they are going to be receiving a new consignment of guitars.  She begins to work and but has the typical queasiness and nausea.

Aarya has a leisure breakfast with his parents who are very happy with his choice and adore Nav. They tell Aarya that if he and Nav are comfortable they would like to set an early date for marriage.  Aarya nods which they take as a positive answer.  Aarya's father's phone rings and it is Manik's dada who has called to invite them over in the evening for dinner at Malhotras.  Aarya's dad readily accepts the dinner invitation.  Aarya excuses himself and calls Nav.

Aarya:  Hi dear. Kya haal hai?

Nav:  Jo aap ka hai wohi mera bhi hai...

Aarya (laughing):  Toh phir bura haal hai tumhara.