Chapter 3

Nandu is baffled.  She suddenly comes to her senses and sees that Manik is very angry and upset with her.  

Nandu:  Sorry Manik (puts her head down in shame).

Manik:  Nandu, why are you putting your head down?  I just screamed at you because we are out.  We could have gone to my apartment which is close by.  Also I know somewhere you are trying to make me feel better.  But please by doing all this you are making me feel much worse.  Nandu, you are my life.  I feel like ending my life sometimes because I am so scared of marriage.  I really do not know the reason why.  It is not that I have seen broken marriages around me.  When I remember the last time when our engagement was fixed, I get cold feet.

FLASHBACK

Manik remembered how he had broken the engagement with Nandu as he needed more time.  That was the only excuse he gave and Nandu stood by him.  In seclusion, they had a lot of fights and arguments because somewhere Nandu wanted commitment from him.  They did not talk to each other or meet each other for almost two months.  However, they both had become a wreck and gone into depression.  Cabir and Navya saw their condition, coordinated with Mukti and Abhi and fixed their meeting without their knowledge.  Both were hurting.  The moment they saw each other, they froze and stood there as if time is standing still.  Manik was guilty.  Nandu knew that.  She went to him, held his hands, and said, "it is okay Manik.  I am ready to wait."  Manik cried his heart out by taking her in a bone-crushing hug.  That is the time when Nandu decided to stand by her man no matter what as she saw some very deep hurt in Manik's eyes that she was not able to understand.  (Flashback ends)

Nandu:  Manik, you are mistaken this time.  I am not trying to make you feel better.  I wanted your closeness, I wanted to feel you because I wanted to feel better.  

Manik:  Nandu....

Nandu:  Let me complete Manik.  Manik, I know for sure that I cannot survive without you, I just cannot.  So from now on, you need not feel guilty.  This is our problem.  I am not doing this for you, I am doing this for us.  

Manik looked into her eyes.  There was so much of purity and determination that he fell in love with her once again.  He kissed her passionately.

Nandu (breaking the kiss):  Manik, I want no barriers between us.  I want you.  You have still not consummated our relationship.  I respect you for this.  But I have my needs and I want to feel you in me.  I know you want it too.  Listen Manik, just because we are not engaged to be married does not make our love less for each other.  Lets make love Manik, lets be one.

Manik (wiping his tears):  Yes we will....very soon.

Manik and Nandu say a mushy goodbye and decide on a dinner date the same night.  Nandu meets Aarya for lunch and seeing that she is in a good mood, Aarya does not broach any topic which might alter her mood.  Aarya talks about Nav whom he has met two to three times and Nandu senses that he has a soft corner for her.  She decides to talk about this with Manik.

It is late evening and Manik comes to pick up his Nandu.  She is looking resplendent in black and red one piece one shoulder dress.  It is backless, but Nandu has her hair open.  

Manik:  Maar daala (he winks at Nandu).

Nandu:  That was the plan Mr. Malhotra.

Manik:  You have me floored Ms. Murthy.

They go to Taj Lands End and have a quiet dinner where most of the time Manik is holding Nandu's hand across the table.  He is feeling proud from within to be in love with a person who is as beautiful from inside as outside.