Chapter Seventeen

Comincia dall'inizio

The impact of Evan's words probably fueled him enough reason to be more outraged by the situation, because just like that, he takes another swing at Levi, this one more powerful than the last as Levi's head turned and I saw from the corner of his mouth blood that was spilling out.

Snapping me back into reality as I immediately took a step forward "Evan! Stop!" I cried out, and almost as if he gained back his normal sense of self, he turned his head in my direction, surprised to see me here, witnessing all of this.

Which resulted in Levi getting the upper hand as he violently shoved him away while Evan was caught off guard, making him fall onto his back, groaning.

He landed near my feet and I bent down to inspect him "What the hell did you do?" I asked, my voice shaking.

He heaved out several heavy breaths before looking up at me, smears of blood and bruises all visible on his face as he clenched his jaw "What I had to do."

Levi sat up to stare at the both of us just as Beth and Emily raced to his side "So what? This is it?" he questioned, fuming with the sight before him "You're siding with him after everything you said about him? After everything I told you not to do?"

"She's not obligated to do what you tell her, she's not your fucking servant."

"Oh, how rich coming from the guy who treats all his girlfriends like shit! Did you know that what you're preaching about right now is the same reason why Maggie never liked you in the first place?" Levi hissed as he wiped at the blood-smudged at the corner of his lips "Now this?"

Levi brings his attention back to me as his eyes then turn into slits "It's either you lied since the beginning or you're a total fucking hypocrite."

Before I could even say anything, Evan immediately springs up to try and pounce on him, but I pull him back just as quickly before he could cause another brawl.

"Stop! Just stop, okay! This isn't how it's supposed to be!"

"Then how is it supposed to be?" Levi growled "Because I know this isn't how it's supposed to be. You're not supposed to be at his side but instead right here with me. What..."

And for a moment, I could see the hurt in his eyes as he tried his best to continue on with his words, evidently choked up and confused about the situation.

"What does this mean, Maggie? Why are you there? With him?"

I didn't know what to say, or simply didn't know how to say the words that were bubbling inside of me, just tempting me to scream it all out and go ahead and tell him.

That this isn't what it looks like. That I'm not here beside him because I chose to, and I'm not there with you because I want to, that none of this was ever really my choice.

At this very second did it dawn on me that all of this wouldn't have happened if only I had told him about the engagement. If only I wasn't just such a fucking coward and kept secrets from him, I never wanted this to happen and yet here I am now.

Begging him, pleading with him to try and understand a situation he was never made aware of all because of my thoughtless choices and blinded way of thinking that I could've somehow prevented all of this from happening.

I so desperately wanted to tell him all about it right now, even if it's too late, I just wanted to take my chances and not let this end in a travesty.

But before I could even try, and almost as if sensing it, Evan grabbed onto my thigh, squeezing it as I looked down on him, but he was staring straight ahead "Don't, it's not worth it."