Chapter Five

Depuis le début

Hermione was pointing and stuttering, "He didn't kill you." That was all she could manage.

Ron and Harry were excited, "See, 'Mione!?! Snape likes him so he must be a Death Eater!"

She swung around to face them, "Snape is a good person! He was never really a Death Eater, remember?"

I walked over to them, "Sev comes to camp with me and Luna every year. He's brave and good with kids, too."

Harry scoffed, "Brave and good with kids? Are we even talking about the same Snape?" Hermione dragged me over to another table. Sev started his lesson.

"Today," he said monotonously, "We will be making a dreamless sleep potion. I hear a certain Perseus Jackson is having fits in his sleep. Follow the instructions on the board."

I groaned. It was a swirly mess. "Sevvy! You know I can't read that."

Hermione muttered, "How can you call him Sevvy and not get killed?"

Snape smiled cruelly, "Granger! No talking. Five points from Gryffindor. Just use your book, Jackson. Quit your whining." He winked when no one was looking, though.

Why was he so mean to these guys? He was never like this in camp.

I opened my copy of the Ancient Greek potions book and flipped to the page. Oh! Sevvy taught us this potion when we were in camp! This was going to be a breeze.

I watched Snape walk around to the potions. Seamus Finnigan made some red thing that reminded me of the Phlegethon. How evil is that? Ron and Harry were not as bad, but Sev still told them that apparently, "They forgot to add the pixie wing," or something like that.

Hades, he was hard on these kids. He walked over to me and Hermione and he smiled, "Perfect, both of you! Thirty points each to Gryffindor." Hermione's jaw literally hit the table.

I stared at her, "What?"

She stuttered and looked at me, "Did you do something to Snape?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "No, why?" She shook her head. "Hermione! What is it?"

At this point, I was dying to know. I keep complaining about these wizard people. They are so complicated!

She shrugged, "He's in such a good mood. He treats you like your better than his best friend. I always make my potions like this, but one day you walk in and he gives us points! Did you do, like, the Imperius Curse on him?"

I laughed, "I don't know any spells. Me and Sevvy go way back, I told you that already. I've known him since I was twelve. Now I'm your age."

The bell rang as Hermione answered, "Whatever. Let's go to Care of Magical Creatures. Hagrid teaches it and he's amazing."

As we walk out, I hear Ron and Harry whispering behind our backs. Then I remember something.

"Hey, Hermione?" I ask as we walk over the hill to Hagrid's Hut.

She turns to me, "Yeah?"

I tilt my head, "What does 'fancy' mean?"

She looks confused, "It means that someone likes someone else. Why?"

I twirl Riptide between my fingers, suddenly embarrassed, "Ron said that you fancied me."

Hermione's face looked like it was about to explode. It was as red as the Ares cabin paint.

"That prick! Don't worry, Perce. He's just trying to get you away from me. He thinks that I'm making a mistake by trusting you."

She put her hand on my arm, "I know that I'm right. He's just used to a lot of attention since me, him, and Harry saved the world. He expects the girls to be all over him but then you come along. Harry's the same way. But you'll always have me and Ginny."