CH16: The Devil's Mountain

CHAPTER 16

The Devil’s Mountain

After a long journey of ups and downs, they finally arrive.

From afar, they can see the full view of the Devil’s Mountain. As they approach the area they noticed how the forest that once surrounded with full bloom turns to charcoal and ashes. They knew they are close. From the likes of it they are now too close.

As they continue to walk along the path, they saw a long rundown wood bridge.

“Creepy..” Kaito felt shivers while looking at the bridge.

“Is there another way to go cross than this lousy bridge?” Meiko stared at Gakupo who’s responsible for their path.

“I’m sorry but the easier route is for sure being guarded 10 times folds.” Gakupo defended.

“We can just knock them off right?” Meiko responded.

“We are already here. If we decide to take another route it would take another 3 days and if we knock them off then there will be no strength left for us in order to fight the Dragons right?” Gakupo implied.

“Hahaha! You’ve been pawned Meiko!” Kaito laughed that made Meiko irritable and punch Kaito in his stomach.

“I get it.” Mieko looks at Len who keeps staring at the mountain.

“At last we are finally here, after months of travelling we are finally here...” Len said calmly and sounded happy yet serious.

Gakupo closes the map his holding and put it in his bag; “Len, we need to go there as soon as possible. If what you’ve said about your sister is true then she’s really in danger...”

“What do you mean?” Kaito is not aware what they are saying.

“I don’t quite understand too. I thought base on what you’ve been explaining to us about this tradition. Most gypsies have high endurance bodies and were trained to last longer before being taken at the Devil’s Mountain. So why is my sister weakening faster?” Len looks at the ground with desperation.

“I think it has something to do about you and her being twins...” –Gakupo

“Huh?” – Len

“This is the first time in history that a twin was chosen you see. From my theories, twins are special. They share some sort of link that only they can understand, something that cannot be copied even if related by blood. I think you and your sister also share the same life span? Well, you both come from your mother’s tummy at the same time so it must be that linkage of yours to your sister that’s making the gypsy process faster on harming her body. Well it requires a lot of strength to even withstand the pressure on the Dragon’s world.” Gakupo explained.

Len got depressed and walks straight at the bridge.

“Hey slow down!” Meiko followed Len.

“Gakupo your explanation is confusing but I salute you!” Kaito said to Gakupo while following Mieko from her back.

Gakupo looks at the Devil’s mountain from a distance one last time; “I’ll be closer to the truth.” He smiled and followed the rest.

While crossing the bridge, Len felt that something is wrong. He tried to communicate with Rin but for the first time she is not responding. It made him more uneasy as before that he tried walking faster making the rest follow him. Due to their speed and the bridge’s remaining strength it started to collapse.

“Len slow down!!” Meiko shouted at Len who is not listening.

“Oh my! Ruuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn!!!” Kaito ran faster overtaking Gakupo.

“What the?! Why did you ru—“ Gakupo looks at his back and saw the bridge collapsing; “Just great!!” he suddenly runs too.

All made it safe on the other side but the bridge is not available for anyone who wants to back out. Gakupo was pissed that he went to Len and grab his collar.

“What are you thinking?! Do you want us to die this instance?!” – Gakupo

“I-I’m sorry...” Len looks at the ground feeling desperate.

Meiko pats Gakupo’s hand and looks at Len; “Len, you don’t have to worry, we will help you rescue your sister. Even though we have different motives to go there we won’t let you be alone. So just calm down...”

“They are right Len!” Kaito embraces Meiko and Gakupo, “We are always here, just trust us okay?!”

Len looks at everyone and smiled; “I’m sorry, maybe I’m panicking too much. It seems I can’t contact my sister anymore so I wanted to rescue her as fast as possible, but it just made a drawback earlier. It won’t happen again...”

Gakupo shove off Kaito’s arms; “Then we don’t have time to spare, let’s go! The entrance is already near from here.”

Meiko, Len and Kaito’s expressions became serious and nodded.

--Inside the Dragon’s Nest Entrance

Miku looked at the distance where the entrance from the outside is. She felt that someone is approaching but she can’t do anything but wait from where she is sitting.

She then stood up from the floor and walks slowly to see the entrance clearly.

“Pity humans, how dare they go here?” Miku’s emotionless face stared both the entrance to the dragon’s Nest and the entrance from the outside.

She then taps the floor using her long staff. The staff responded with a sweet ring that echoes throughout the cave. It made Miku smile and opened her arms wide; “Come brave warriors from the outside! Me as the keeper of the entrance will welcome you all with open arms! Hahahaha!”

Her laughing voice echoed inside the cave and penetrated outside of it.

Len suddenly stops from his track that made everyone stop.

“What’s the matter? We need to go there as fast as possible right?” Meiko said.

“I just felt something bad...” –Len

“That’s just your imagination!” Kaito tried to joke around but Len didn’t mind it.

“Len!” Gakupo called out Len and made a sign of coming closer. Len got curious and comes closer to where Gakupo is standing. He was amazed to what he saw.

“We are finally here....” – Gakupo

In front of them is a giant entrance of a cave. Most of it is covered by moths and vines, but still looking at it gives a creepiness feeling. Kaito felt the shivers again and looks at Gakupo.

“So creepy...” – Kaito.

“So this is the entrance?” – Meiko

“Yes, and from here always watch yourselves. Dragons are very tricky and strong.” – Gakupo

Len made a final look at the entrance cave. He took a deep breath, holds his necklace and looks at it again with determination; “Okay, let’s go and don’t let down your guards.”

They all entered the cave...

..devoured by the darkness that awaits them.

Miku waits patiently inside expecting them to arrive.