Chapter 2

Cyrus walked into the park, listening to the beautiful, scenic sounds of nature. He looked at the pond that was in front of him, a bit to the right. He saw a large willow tree that was a few yards from the pond that was to the left. He headed towards the tree and sat down. He looked out over the pond. In the pond, he saw a few small groups of ducks, swimming around, periodically diving to nab at something in the water. He opened his book bag and reached in to grab his books. He grabbed his notebook and his Algebraic Studies book and flipped it open to page 528 and started do the questions. They were fairly simple, and he did them very quickly with ease. When he finished writing his explanation for a problem, he shut his book and put it back in his book bag. He looked at the pond again, hearing the ducks quack, and the birds chirp made him happy that he lived in Golden Oak. He looked at the sky and could see the yellowish tint of dusk arriving, making him feel like he could just curl up and fall asleep right there. He closed his eyes and sighed. Sleep would be so nice right now, he thought to himself. He opened his eyes again this time, in total darkness, except for the lights flooding the area out side of the park.

"What the-" he began, but trailed off as he saw the tall dark cloaked figure that he had seen at the store, standing right in front of the pond. Shivers went down his spine. The only thing he could do was look at the figure. A voice was imprinted into his mind, words that he did not hear. Come to the forbidden land, and see the true meaning of your world. Cyrus looked around to see where the voice was coming from, but found nothing. He was confused, then he realized that the imprintation of words into his head was speaking of the forbidden side of Golden Oak, the side that was left for the outlaws of town, the people who committed crimes against Golden Oak. Rarely anyone knew of it, and only the people of the High Court spoke of it. He only knew because his father was part of the court, and ultimately made the decision if people were cast out of the city and into that side of town. Yet he wondered if he should go home, because he still had no idea how it had gotten dark so fast, and he had school tomorrow. He looked around. He was going to think about going to the other side of town. He knew the consequences. If he were caught in the other side of town, he would be sent there by the court for the rest of his life. If he were going to go, he would have to be very discreet about the ordeal, making sure that no one sees him. He had to go now if he wanted to to get there before dawn. He grabbed his book bag and walked back the way he had came.

Cyrus, now outside of the park had to find out where the other side of town was. He assumed that it was behind the wall of buildings. He just had to find where an opening was. He walked over to the restaurant, because that was the only place he could think of with a back alley. He walked up to the front of the store, and looked in the front window. He saw people eating food, drinking wine, and laughing. He stepped away from the window and walked to the left of the door. He turned and looked out back into the town. There were still quite a few people walking up and down the sidewalks. I need a distraction he thought to himself, or I could wait. He looked around, trying to find something the could distract the people walking by. He didn't find anything, so he just ended up waiting.
After what seemed like twenty minutes, he walked towards the alley, and looked behind him, seeing no one. He quickened his pace, without looking back, he climbed the fence and was in the back of the restaurant. He walked forward, and looked to the right. He saw that the back door of the restaurant was opened. Not fully, but it was opened a little more than half way. He crept up to the door and slowly pulled it shut, hoping that no one heard the sound of the latch. He turned around. He needed to find the entrance through the densely wooded area. He walked forward, ducked under a low hanging branch and walked into the woods.

After walking for a while, Cyrus looked back to where the now unseen restaurant was. He turned around and continued to walk forward into the trees, hoping to find a way into the other side of town. He walked for a few more minutes before he saw a fence, with a gate and a rusty sign hanging above it that read 'Golden Oak'. He walked up to it, and opened it. This is it, he thought to himself, now I just have to find what the voice in my head was talking about. After closing the gate and looking around, he saw the black hooded figure standing on a dirt path to the left. When he looked at it, he saw something that he didn't believe at first, he saw the figure turn around and walk down the pathway. He had never seen that before. He took it into consideration that it was probably the hooded figure that spoke into his mind without really speaking at all, seeing as how if he had a mouth, it was covered by his black cloak. He decided to follow the figure.

The figure did not look back at him, but instead just walked on. It took a right around a tree. Cyrus wanted to stop and look around the place but didn't want to lose the figure. So he observed his surroundings as he went on. To his right he saw more trees, and some bushes. To his left there were more trees. There has to be a place where all the criminals stay, not in the woods. He thought looking up at the treetops. He zipped up his jacket, as he was getting very chilly. He took the same right that the figure took. It was a few yards ahead and took yet another right. He wondered where it was leading him to. He took the same right that it took. When he turned the corner, he was looked around. The figure was gone.

Straight ahead was a stump that Cyrus assumed was hollowed out, overflowing with with silver and gold trinkets. He walked forward and grabbed a golden goblet with diamond studded rhinestones around the rim. He set the goblet down. He didn't like it. He felt like this was a trap. He turned around and rushed out of the area. Turning to the left to leave, he almost ran into the hooded figure. He looked up at the towering figure and got intense shivers down his spine. He turned and ran back into the clearing. He turned to see if the creature was chasing him, but it wasn't. He turned around to see it standing a few feet away from him. As he went to turn to the left, the figure seized his right forearm and jerked. Cyrus looked up nervously at what he thought was the figures face. It felt like time froze, and him and the figure were just staring at each other for what seemed like centuries. He felt like he was gaining strength and vitality. He felt like he had just woken up from a long winter hibernation, fresh, and ready for the months ahead. Finally the figure's grip was broken and it disappeared into a sparkly mist.

He looked around. He needed to get out of there. He turned and ran out of the clearing with immense speed. Taking a left, he ran to a stop to see people standing at the gate. Some of them wearing tatters and dirty clothes. He stopped. He noticed that it was a little before the sun was all the way up and the criminals were waiting for their breakfast. Suddenly, he heard the gate creak open, and watched the owner of the restaurant come into view with a large platter of food. He heard the man with the platter and a man in the crowd start conversing. After they were done chatting, he saw the platter get passed on and everyone followed the platter. He heard the gate close, and then it was silent. He jogged up to the gate an opened it. Stepping outside the gate, he closed it and ran to the restaurant.

Coming out of the woods, Cyrus ran at the fence. Forgetting there was no gate, He ran into the fence, or he thought he did. He looked up, and saw the sidewalk. What? He questioned himself. He looked at the fence that was now behind him. How is that possible? I should have crashed into it. He thought to himself. He decided that he was going to jog the rest of the way home. Turning the corner, he jogged past the bakery, furniture store, and the radio station up the brick pathway to his house. He ran up to the door and pushed it open. "Cyrus?" He heard his mother yell, "Is that you?" He closed the door.
"Yes it is mother."
"Where were you? You missed dinner."
"Yes, about that," he said smiling at his mother, "I fell asleep at the park whilst doing my homework." He wasn't even sure if he fell asleep or not. "Oh, that's okay," she rubbed his face, "You can go take a shower and go to sleep honey, you have probably had a tiresome week during school." He smiled at his mom, "Thank you mom." "You are welcome honey, and if you are hungry, there is breakfast in the oven." He nodded to his mother, hugged her, and ran up the stairs to go to his room.