4. Seeking and spreading Islamic knowledge

The prophet (s.a.w) said "Convey from me, even if an Ayah"

The Prophet (peace be upon him) stated:"May allah brighten (the face of) a person who hears a hadith from us and memorizes it to conveys it to others; for perhaps a receiver of knowledge is more knowledgeable than a transmitter, and perhaps a transmitter (of knowledge), is not versed in knowledge."

[Ref: Al-Tirmidhy, Sunan, Book on knowledge, no. 2656; Abu Dawud, Sunan, Book on knowledge, no. 3660; Ibn Majah, Sunan, Book on asceticism, no. 4105; Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Musnad, vol. 5, p. 183; and Al-Darimy, Sunan, Introduction, no. 229.]

In today's time , seeking and sharing knowledge has become Obligatory, see Sunan Ibn Majah, Book 1, Number 224

Kathir ibn Qays said: I was sitting with Abud Darda' in the mosque of Damascus.

A man came to him and said: AbudDarda, I have come to you from the town of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) for a tradition that I have heard you relate from the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w). I have come for no other purpose.

He said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) say: If anyone travels on a road in search of knowledge, Allah will cause him to travel on one of the roads of Paradise. The angels will lower their wings in their great pleasure with one who seeks knowledge, the inhabitants of the heavens and the Earth and the fish in the deep waters will ask forgiveness for the learned man. The superiority of the learned man over the devout is like that of the moon, on the night when it is full, over the rest of the stars. The learned are the heirs of the Prophets, and the Prophets leave neither dinar nor dirham, leaving only knowledge, and he who takes it takes an abundant portion.

(Ref: Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2606, Sunan Abi Dawood 3641, Sahih)

It was narrated that Zirr bin Hubaish said: "I went to Safwan bin 'Assal Al-Muradi and he said: 'What brought you here?' I said: 'I am seeking knowledge.' He said: 'I heard the Messenger of Allah say: "There is no one who goes out of his house in order to seek knowledge, but the angels lower their wings in approval of his action.'"

[Ref: Sunan ibn Maajah, Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 226]

The prophet (s.a.w) said : ...Whoever follows a path in pursuit of knowledge, Allah will make easy fro him a path to paradise. No people gather in one of the houses of Allah, reciting the Book of Allah and teaching it to one another, but the angels will surround them, tranquility will descend upon them, mercy will envelop them and Allah will mention them to those who are with Him. And whoever is hindered because of his bad deeds, his lineage will be of no avail to him.'"

[Ref: Sunan ibn Maajah,Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 225, See Sahih Muslim Book 35, Hadith 6518]

Awn bin Abdullah said: I said to (Ameer ul Momineen) Umar bin Abdul Aziz: It is said: 'Indeed if you are able to become a scholar, then become a scholar, and if you are unable, then become a student, and if you are unable to become a student, then love them, if you are unable to love them, then do not have hatred towards them' so 'Umar bin 'Abdul Azeez replied, 'Subhaan Allaah! Allaah the Mighty and Majestic has even given this one an exit

[Narrated by Abu Khaythama, Faswi in Muarifat al Tareekh 3/398,399, Ibne Abdul Bar in Jame Byan al Ilm 1.142-143]

The Biggest virtue of seeking and spreading knowledge is that it is the only thing which is guaranteed to help us even after our death:

Rasool (s.a.w) said: "The action of man stops when he dies except three things: continuous charity, knowledge (that he shares/teaches) or a pious child who prays for him."

[Ref: Sahih Muslim: 4223]