2. Having Taqwah of Allah and good character

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah was asked about that for which people are admitted into Paradise the most, so he said: "Taqwa of Allah, and good character." And he was asked about that for which people are admitted into the Fire the most, and he said: "The mouth and the private parts."

[Sunan at-Tirmidhi, Vol. 4, Book 1, Hadith 2004]

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said: "For whomever Allah protects against the evil of what is between his jaws and the evil of what is between his legs, he shall enter Paradise."

[Ref: Jami'a at-Tirmidhi Book 36, Hadith 2591]

See the Manners and character of Muhammad (s.a.w) here

See the Manners of the Arabs during the days of Jahilliya (before the advent of Islam) here

Explanation in brief

Taqwah (fear of Allah) - The scholars defined Taqwah as "placing a barrier between yourself and the punishment of Allah by performing that which He ordered and abstaining from that which He prohibited".

Good character - The meaning of this is to have good character towards the creation. The lowest form of good character is not to harm people and its highest form is to do good to those who do bad to you.

The two actions which are a reason for entering hellfire are:

The mouth - Speaking that which displeases Allah such as arguing, abusing and slandering, lying, etc (see this article)

The private parts - All forms of adultery