7. Avoiding Vain arguments and False joking

Narrated Abu Umamah: The Prophet (s.a.w ) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarreling even if he were in the right, a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking, and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good.

[Sunan Abi Dawud 4800, Hasan]

Aisha reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Verily, the most hated man to Allah is the one who is harsh in argument."

[Sahih Muslim, Book 34, Number 6447]

Abu Umamah reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "No people go astray after being guided except that they indulge in arguments." Then he recited the verse, "They strike an example for you only to argue; rather, they are a quarrelsome people." (Qur'an 43:58)

[Sunan At-Tirmidhi, Book of Exegesis, Number 3253, Sahih]

It is reported that there was a young man who was from the people of knowledge who used to put himself forward, speak and behave haughtily with his knowledge in front of those older than him. This angered Sufyan at-Thawree (r.h) and he said, "The Salaf were never like this; they never used to claim leadership, or sit at the head of the gathering until they had sought this knowledge for thirty years, and you act haughty in front of those who are older than you. Get up, I never want to see you even come close to my circle."

[Ref: Al Bayhaqi , Al Madhkal Ila Al-Sunan al-Kubra 2:74]