Chapter 6: Khushi

Khushi couldn't concentrate on the conversation around her, too focused on the secrets she was hiding from her family. Jiji wasn't home, Arnav-ji was inside her bedroom, and Nanhe-ji had complicated things by coming to wish everyone a happy new year.

"I told Payaliya to tell me when you returned," complained Bua-ji, looking as askance at Khushi.

"Jiji isn't here, she's gone," Khushi blurted, before correcting herself, "she's gone to sleep. Jiji is asleep."

"Happy new year, Khushi-ji," said Nanhe-ji.

"Yes, yes, it's a new year, a new day, a new night ... it's midnight ..." Khushi muttered, her mind on the man standing on the other side of the door.

Bua-ji called out to Jiji again, causing Khushi's heart to flutter in panic.

"Jiji isn't here! I mean ... she's asleep, she's asleep."

But Bua-ji was determined, making her way to the door, which had opened slightly. Khushi ran to it and slammed it shut.

"But ... inside ..." began Bua-ji.

"The Laad Governor! I mean Arnav-ji. I mean Jiji! Jiji is asleep, right?"

Khushi silently cursed herself, closing her eyes and hoping that no one had noticed her slip.

Bua-ji and Amma didn't react, but Nanhe-ji came forward.

"What? Nannav is inside?"

Hai Devi Maiyaa, please let me get through this.

Desperate, Khushi tried to distract everyone, repeating that her Jiji was asleep and begging them to leave her in peace. She was acutely aware that Arnav-ji was on the other side of the door. She needed Nanhe-ji to leave. The longer he stayed, the more suspicious her family would become, and the angrier Arnav-ji would be. It was already a sore point between them that she was dancing with Nanhe-ji for the Sangeet.

Khushi tried to distract him by asking about the history of Arnav-ji's nickname before pushing him out of their house. She closed the door behind Nanhe-ji, breathing a sigh of relief, and urged Bua-ji and Amma to sleep. When they were finally gone, she rushed back to her bedroom, bracing herself for Arnav-ji's anger.