Chapter 8: Khushi

It was such a big secret to keep, a burden she couldn't bear much longer, not when she was used to telling her Jiji every little detail of her life, not when she shared her every hope and dream and wish with her Babu-ji. And tonight, with Arnav-ji in one room and Bua-ji and Amma in the other, with Jiji out with Aakash-ji and Nanhe-ji giving her red roses, she just wanted it to be over.

Arnav-ji held her as she sobbed into him. Khushi snuggled as close as she could, their earlier disagreement all but forgotten. Before she could say that yes, she wanted to tell everyone as soon as possible, Bua-ji called her name as she knocked on the door. They sprang apart. Khushi hastily dried her tears while Arnav-ji looked around for a place to hide.

"Khushi," he sighed, "I'll just walk out the door. We'll explain everything to Bua-ji together."

"No!" she quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the door, "You want to go in front of Bua-ji? Like this? You really are a Laad Governor! Just stand over here."

"Titaliya!" came Bua-ji's voice through the locked door, "Open the door! What are you doing?"

Maybe he can pretend to be Jiji.

"Arnav-ji, lie on the bed," Khushi whispered, holding his arm and trying to force him down.

"Have you gone mad?" he asked, resisting her.

Sighing, Khushi let go of him to explain exactly how much trouble they'd both be in - not to mention Jiji and Aakash-ji - if Bua-ji realised what was happening. Her arms wheeled wildly in the air and Arnav-ji stumbled onto the bed as he ducked to avoid a blow to the face.

"What the-!"

"Devi Maiyaa wants this as well," Khushi grinned, "that's why she made you fall!"

She used his legs to spin him around and align him properly before covering him with a blanket, ignoring his protests.

Devi Maiyaa, please protect us. Don't let Bua-ji find him.

"Arnav-ji," she begged, "please lie still and pretend to be asleep. If Bua-ji realizes Jiji isn't here then we're all done for."