Chapter 1: Arnav

"Three. Two. One."

Khushi opened her eyes, and he couldn't stop a smile as the expression on her face morphed from giddy excitement to surprise at seeing him here, in her bedroom, at midnight. The jalebi in her hand dropped to the floor, forgotten.

Sweet relief spread through him as he drank her in. She was a vision, clad in a bright yellow salwar suit accented with green, her wide eyes blinking up at him. Arnav waited as she recovered and answered his smile with a shy one of her own. He leaned forward, using two fingers to tuck her hair behind her ear before holding her head still with both hands.

"Happy new year, Khushi," he whispered.

Her breath came in short gasps as she crushed the material of his waistcoat between her fingers, her mouth opening and closing a few times before she was able to speak.

"You? Here?"

"I had to see you at midnight. Aakash took Payal out and I volunteered to drive, out of the goodness of my heart."

Khushi looked around the room, only now realizing that her sister wasn't in sight, and giggled against his chest. He wrapped his arms around her to keep her warm and sighed. Sometimes he thought that he lived for these brief, stolen moments with her.

Aakash and Payal's wedding gave them plenty of excuses to be around each other but the short minutes that were able to steal in the kitchen, in his bedroom, by his poolside, were never enough. They'd decided to keep their relationship a secret until after the wedding, unwilling to risk Mami rescinding her permission for the hard-won union of their siblings.

For now, they kept this delicious secret to themselves.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Author's Note: This story is a re-imagining of New Year's Eve where Khushi and Arnav are in a secret relationship. Much of the dialogue and action is the same, or similar, to what happens in the show. The changes, when they occur, are necessary because the two of them are in a relationship.

This is the first in a four-part series set in an AU where Arnav and Khushi are in a relationship that they're hiding from everyone.