20

Gripping my ID rather tightly, I walked through the double doors of LexCorp. The large lobby was nearly empty with the exception of Mercy sitting at her desk. She was shuffling papers and didn't even as much as look up at me. I decided with a huff to go confront her. I could feel my grip tighten on the ID in my hand. Approaching her desk, I slammed my hand that was holding my ID on to her desk. There was a louder than anticipated whipping smack sound that alerted her immediately. She wasn't startled long. Her reaction shifted rather quickly as she looked up at me with the slimiest of grins.

"What can I do for you Miss. Morix? Do you need access to the lab?"
"Access to—What? I have my ID right here."
"Oh, I was told to confiscate that from you. You no longer can be here when Mr. Luthor nor I are here." I looked at her in disbelief. My eyes narrowed and I felt the edges of the ID card making indentations in my palm.
"Why not?"
"I was told he doesn't trust you here without his supervision." She held her hand out to me, just waiting for the satisfaction of me handing my ID in.
"No? Why's that Mercy?" I spat out through my teeth. She simply smirked and shook her head.
"As if you don't know."
"You think you're clever?"
"I know I am."
"You're not slick."
"It's only just begun of course."
"Where is he?"
"He was playing basketball until a phone call came in for him."
"So, then I'll ask you again. Where the fuck is he?" My tone didn't settle.
"My you sound bitter Mira." She moved her fingers slowly to indicate she was still waiting for my stupid ID.

     I felt it wasn't necessary to give her that satisfaction. I tossed it to the side and walked away from her desk and made my way down the corridors. This was ridiculous and I wanted nothing more than to reach over her puny desk and strangle her skinny little neck. What a heartless, selfish witch. I found myself in front of his massive office sooner than I expected. I must have been storming through. For the first time since I've been recruited, I banged on the door myself and waited for him to answer. He opened the door.

"Miss. Morix! Come in, come in! We have plenty to discuss!" He waved his hands to gesture for me to come in. I was fuming. "I anticipate you have a lot of steam to let out. But, perhaps before we do that we can allow it to evaporate." His finger bopped my nose and I looked up at him in disbelief.

     I caught Harley sitting on his oak desk. I wanted to puke. My mind was racing, and my temples were thumping. I was waiting, honestly, for her to cackle. I was waiting for the two of them to gloat in my face. I was waiting for Lex to fire me, and start talking rights to my project. I was waiting for Harley to start ranting nonsense about how he'd win them too. None of that happened. Instead, Harley grinned and waved enthusiastically.

"It's come to my attention that I may have...stepped bounds...and rushed to conclusions in a way that is unpredictably erroneous Miss. Morix." He started pacing in front of me, hands on his hips. "And for that, I should undoubtedly ask for forgiveness." He waved his pointer finger in the air. "Now, no mockery Miss. Morix. I don't apologize often, if at all." He stopped in place, clenching his fists. "I never have needed to as no one ever acted contrite towards me for employing worthless horrors on my shoulders." He blinked quickly, repeatedly as he pressed his lips together momentarily. Then, like day and night, his shoulders relaxed and he looked towards me and nodded singularly. "But, I must express my deepest apologies to you and thank you for bringing Mr. J's mistress in to discuss it with me."

     I was terribly confused. My eyes met Harley's. She mouthed the words 'don't mention it'. Don't mention what? What was I not mentioning? What had she done? She hopped down and walked towards Lex and I. My eyes scanned the room. I felt like this was some sick joke. I should have just gone down to the lab. The comfort of the familiar routine would have helped me feel a little less conflicted.

"I couldn't stand around and watch you have man troubles ya know." Harley told me as she chomped on some gum.
"Man troubles?" Lex's voice cracked as he looked at her both quizzically and embarrassedly.
"Is that a joke?"
"No no no no!" Lex reassured before ranting some more. "It's come to my attention that you went to see Mr. Wayne after the breech in my system, of course...But! It's also come to my attention that you weren't responsible for that breech in the slightest!"
"And how's that?" I felt myself calming down. I had to admit, Harley's giddiness was making the tension in the room dissipate quickly.
"Your newest friend! She seemingly showed me the proof that lay in the surveillance. We have them for a reason I suppose. Look, no matter! How about I take you out in an attempt to recover? Somewhere with a nice chardonnay? Perhaps a delicious cherry wine?"

     I stared in incredulity. I wasn't sure if still felt skeptic or not, but Harley was avidly nodding her head behind him. She seemed to be all for the idea. I wanted to think it over for a few moments, but to be completely honest, nothing was floating around up in my head. I cocked my head as I raised an eyebrow at him. I could see relief on both of their faces as I slowly began to smile.

"Cherry wine, huh?" I asked him.
"You've never indulged in a succulent sip of Cherry wine? Well then it is completely settled darling! That's the place! It's an undeniable fact, and I know you're all for the facts, that everyone should have tasted cherry wine. Preferably sooner rather than later! Who would wish the denying of such an experience to the palate of another!?" He threw his hands up defensively, but playfully.

     His finger graced the bottom of my chin before he walked out of the door. The door shut behind him and I looked around his freakishly large office. The fireplace was still on. Pretty sure that was a hazard? I looked again at the picture hanging long ways above a slim table that held up some drinks. I observed and examined each piece of it, each person in it. They looked to be from elsewhere, not from anywhere I've been. It then dawned on me that Lex and I never had that conversation. 

"You know what this means, don'ts ya?" She was still chomping on her gum. I couldn't help but smile at her even though she broke my concentration again. I was starting to like her, and to be quite blunt, I was feeling good about her helping me out. I wasn't exactly fond of Lex putting me out.

"What's this mean? That I owe you a thank you?"
"You don't owe me nothin'! I think we need to get you some new outfits."
"What? No, thank you though." I chuckled.
"No, yeah. I mean, obviously chardonnay. Sounds too fancy for something like this." She gestured to her outfit. "But, I mean, let's be real. You're gonna be helpin' the quirky scientist with more than just this."
"What makes you—"
"Oh, what do you mean darling?" She was mocking me. I smiled to myself.
"That doesn't mean—"
"So, how do you feel about leather?" She grinned unnervingly. I can't lie; these peculiar smiles were starting to feel more comforting than the open, supposedly genuine looking, ones I was used to. Those seemed forged to me nowadays.