30

Harley and I walked through the streets of Metropolis almost in sync. We stood side by side, our chins in the air. Not, like, in a snobby, we're tough shit, kind of way. We were looking at the stars; I was trying to count them. It's easy to do when city light illuminate the sky; there aren't many of them visible to such a diminutive eye. Though, I find it hard to do as I'm walking. We had no destination. We were simply walking.

"What's this?" I turned slowly, cautiously. "Has she reached sister status yet?" Lois asked bitterly.
"Excuse me?" I spat back. "Who are you speaking to?"
"You. I have a question for you."
"As a reporter?"
"I wouldn't do a story on something as insignificant as your wardrobe change." She looked me up and down. "Is that spandex or leather?" Her face read of disgust.
"Do you mind? Harley and I have somewhere to be." I fibbed.
"Clark told me you had been looking for me. Not that you've called."
"I was looking for you, after I got permission to put my brother through specialized rehab. I wanted to share the moment with you. I was excited. You weren't there."
"I had stuff to—"
"Attend to? With Mercy?"
"I—"

I stepped closer to her with a vicious grin spread across my face. My eye could have been twitching a tad, I wasn't sure. "What Lois?"

"I couldn't let you and Lex take this too far. But now that you haven't I just, I just...I want to--"
"Apologize? You always say you're sorry. Let. Me. Tell. You." I spat as I grabbed the sleeve of her jacket furiously. "You can exploit anything you want to. You have that power over me. You do. But you want to know what you don't have the power to do?" She pressed her lips together nervously. My free hand grazed the handle of my gun delicately. No.
"What's...what's that Mira?"
"You do not have the power to keep me from taking those exploitations from you;" I shoved her way from me, my hands folded in front of me and I gave her a very fake smile.
"You're...completely crazed. It..." She stuttered as she backed away cautiously.
"Hm. Mhm." I pretended to be listening. Her demeanor changed, she was no longer stuttering, she stood tall.
"It caught up to you. You're wanting for power. It was never about Mason. It was about impressing Lex."
"How dare you!" I screamed at her, finger pointing and filling our gap. "You take it back."
"What would Mason think?"
"You sound deranged! You know I was working on that even before I began working for him."
"Well, then you look just as deranged as I sound." She said matter-of-factly. I wanted to smother the attitude out of her. My fists clenched tight.

"Muah!" Harley came up behind me planting an over enthusiastic kiss on my cheek. "She looks ravishing, I know! And quite frankly...I bet so does the tightness in Lex's pants." She shrugged bubbly. My fists unclenched, and I stretched my fingers.

"You tell Mercy. You tell your publishers. You tell Clark. You tell whoever the fuck you want Lois. My morals, my motives, have always been Mason. My partner is only a perk."
"He's merely a perk." She scoffed.
"And Clark's merely a catch." I responded just as arrogantly.

"I'll be sure to let them know." Lois added sarcastically tucking her hair behind her ear. Laying on her ear was a small earpiece.
"Were you trying to get answers from me? You were going to try and be friendly to get answers from me?" I frantically screamed. "Well, there you have it Metropolis! Dr. Morix has no ulterior motives." I ridiculed, still shouting.
"What about your boyfriend's intentions?" She taunted.

     I shoved her to the ground, her face baffled as she looked up at me. Harley stood between us bearing a tooth showing grin. I stood there with a crooked smile and a chest full of air. I released it, exhaling. All the lights around us went dark and only the stars illuminated the sky. Now it was evidently impossible to count the stars. The electricity must have gone out and that meant...

That meant Metropolis had met its Doomsday.