Chapter 20: The Past

Start from the beginning

              My boyfriend was sat by the dining-table with fresh tears on his cheeks. Immediately, I felt uneasiness wash over me as I stepped towards him and kneeled down next to him, eyes wide in shock.

              It took me a few moments to speak. "Ian, honey, why are you crying? What's happened?" I asked, concern thick in my voice. He just shook his head, briefly closing his piercing green eyes.

              If you've ever experienced a loved one break down into tears with your very own eyes, you would know how I felt then. I felt like crying myself, but I knew I shouldn't because it was unreasonable and stupid. Why cry when you don't know what you're crying about?

              I shook his shoulders as if to try and shake some sense into him. It didn't work and he seemed unfazed by this. Biting my lip, I stood up and grabbed a tissue from the tissue box next to the sink. I held it out to him but he didn't move.

              So I dragged a chair beside him and sat down, carefully examining his face before dabbing it with the tissue. I wiped away all the tears, but new ones kept coming.

              "You have to speak to me," I told him, taking his face in my hands and staring solidly at him. It seemed to work, because he blinked and then the tears stopped.

              "Ali, I'm so sorry," he whispered and then grabbed me into a hug. Surprised, I hugged him back and heard him inhale the smell of my hair. It felt so nice to be in his arms that I almost didn't want to let go.

              "Why?" I asked, pulling away to look into him. They were full of guilt and I didn't like that.

              "I've done something bad," he admitted, grabbing his hair and almost pulling them out in his frustration. I forced his hands back down and looked at him.

              "What did you do?" I asked evenly.

              And before he could stop himself, the words slipped out of his mouth and changed my world forever.

              "I slept with your sister."

              Then I felt sick. Horrified, I stood up and backed away from him, clapping a hand to my mouth. Now I wanted to cry. 

              He mopped his red eyes. "Please listen to me!" 

              "You didn't!" I told him, although it felt more like I was talking to myself. "You didn't."

              "Ali, I am so sorry," he said in a hoarse voice and his hands reached out to me, but I no longer wanted to feel the warmth of his skin. He was tainted. He had touched my own sister, he wasn't allowed to go near me now.

              "Get away from me," I cried, shaking my head vehemently. He walked slowly towards me and I walked slowly away from him. "Don't, Ian. Don't!"

              He looked hurt. "I didn't mean it! I love you, please don't look at me like that! I love you!"

              Without another word, I whirled around to run away, but his hand grabbed my arm before I could move. I tugged hard but Ian was strong.

              He turned me back around and pinned me against the wall. When I tried to get away, his arms shot out on either side of my head, blocking any chance of escape. The way I describe it might make someone think he was about to hurt me, but Ian wouldn't hurt a fly.