Chapter 21

Miranda's pov

"I thought that maybe I could find myself. If I could just come in, I swear I'll leave won't take nothin' but a memory from the house that..... Built me." I sing in front of the mirror backstage. My voice cracks though on built. "Oh damn." I drink a little water and try again then I hear footsteps. I turn around. Daddy. He smiles. "Darlin' what are you doin'?" My cheeks get red. "I'm practicing." He smiles and sits down. "You've been practicing that song all week. What's up?" "My voice keeps cracking. I'm trying to get it right." "Hun, my voice cracks all the time. You're gonna be just fine. Now come on, we're going to get something to eat before the show." I stand up and finish the water bottle. Sierra walks off the bus as I step out of backstage with dad. "Sierra is that my skirt?" I ask, trying not to laugh. She walks over blushing. "I hope you don't mind-" "Of course not silly but that shirt doesn't go with it. Come on." I say,noogying her. She laughs and we go back on the bus.

Jason's pov

They walk back to the bus. I smile and lean against a lamp post while I wait. Brittany walks out. "Hey honey." I say, kissing her. "It's so cute to see the girls getting along like they are." She says. "I know, you can't even tell she's adopted anymore." I reply, crossing my arms with a smile. "So where are we going for dinner?" "There's a cracker barrel down the road." "I love cracker barrel." "Me too." The girls come back off the bus and we drive to the resturaunt.

*later*

Miranda's pov

We were at meet and greets when a boy my age walks in. "Who am I making this out to?" I ask nervously. Being a teen star makes it difficult to make relationships. "My name's Cole." I sign his CD and we take pictures. I wave. "Enjoy the show. Thanks for coming." "I will." He says, smiling. "Do you have a little crush?" Dad asks, signing a fan's hat. My face is probably super red. "I don't know. Maybe." I say, shrugging. "You shouldn't make relationships on the road." He says. I sigh and nod. "I know." He pats my shoulder. "Time to get onstage kiddo."

*later*

We got a hotel for the night and Brittany went to a bar and Sierra was asleep. Dad was just watching TV. I get out of the shower and sit on my bed. "What's up sweetheart? You look upset." I brush my hair while thinking of how to say this. "Hey dad, can you tell me more about mom?" He sits up quickly. Oops. "Uh um.... Well....." He mumbles, scratching his head. "What do you want to know?" "How'd you two meet?"

Jason's pov

Man I didn't see this coming. A Q and A about Jess. I she sat down on the floor, looking up at ms so I joined her on the floor. "We were high school sweethearts."

~flashback~

It was freshman year. I was nervous since it was my first year of high school. Then I saw her. A junior, an older woman. Long flowing dark hair, beautiful brown eyes. I stared at her for a solid eight minutes before she walked over and patted my cheek. "Hey new boy." "I uh... H-Hey." I mumble, getting choked up. "You're a freshman right?" I'm just so shocked she's talking to me. I nod, my hand gripped tight to my guitar. "Fresh meat!" She shouted confusing me. The next thing I knew I was in a dumpster behind the school.

~flashback over~

"That started a year long rivalry between us." I say, reminiscing on that memory. Miranda laid her head on my shoulder. "What changed it?" I smile and hug my daughter. "Senior prom. I snuck in."

~flashback~

I hung out in the corner, luckily nobody realized I was just a lowly sophomore. I got a cup of punch when I saw Jessica's date yelling at her and she was crying! I thought it would make me happy to see my enemy crying but I don't! I just feel bad. I walk over. "Yo Chris!" I growl angrily. "What?" He turns around and I punch him in the face. "Don't talk to her again!" I gripe. She sniffles and wipes her eyes. "Why..... Why did you help me?" She shakily asks. "We may hate each other but the second I see a man disrespect a woman, he ain't a man no more." I reply, shaking the pain out of my fist from nailing that douche. She glances at the dancefloor. "Wanna dance?" She asks, grabbing my hand. I gasp in surprise. "S-Sure why not?" We go out to the dancefloor with a slow song. Her hand clasped in one of mine and the other on my arm while my other hand is around her waist and her head rests against my chest. "What were you even doing here?" She whispers. I smile. "I snuck in." She lifts her head off my chest." My eyes go wide. We stare at each other for five minutes when I knew it was love at first sight.

~flashback over~

By the time I finish telling that story, she's asleep on my shoulder. I smile. "Goodnight princess." I whisper, kissing her forehead and laying her in the bed beside Sierra. She tucks a hand under her pillow and mumbles something in her sleep. I smooth her hair back and watch her sleep. She smiles in her sleep making me smile again. I go lay back down too, now tired. Thoughts and dreams of Jess floating in my mind.