56. A Series of Unfortunate Events

Start from the beginning

James almost topples over his broom as the beater yanks the bat out off his grasp, and his voice is carried over the pitch, "Oh come on, Maisie! Learn to joke around a bit!"

"Joke around? You won't be joking when I bash your head in!" The beater, Maisie, yells.

"Alright alright! I'm sorry!"

Maisie seems to calm down, now not as intent on beating up the team chaser. Maybe my senses are off, as everything calms down. Well, as calm as quidditch can get.

"Snitch!" Sirius cries as the golden ball whizzes over us, followed closely by the seeker, "Oh and Hollen is quick to move! Our boy has taill got it after all these years-"

Hollen, the seeker, shouts as he swerves around the keeper, "I'm not old, Black!"

"I beg to differ, mate!" Sirius grins, "Anyway, he's closing in, only centimetres from that lovely little golden treasure, cutting around Maisie Lau, over the hideous Potter- SHIT!"

The cause of the profanity is James, who decides to turn around at the wrong time, causing the most painful looking crash between himself, Hollen and the snitch. My eyes are glued to the scene; James doubles over his broom, clutching his face, while Hollen isn't so lucky. I see him lose his hold on his broom as it flips, but am pulled into someone before I see the seeker hit the ground.

"Someone get Pomfrey!" I think it's Lily shouting, but it's hard to make out even I'm being held so tightly.

"Don't look," I realise that it's Remus holding me back, and for good reason. As my mind processes what has just happened, I can almost feel the phantom pain of my once broken ribs, the feeling of hitting the ground with a sickening crack, and the ten seconds of agonising pain before blacking out. It's like living the whole thing again. Remus runs his hand down my back, "Lin..."

"Remus," it's like the image of the accident is burning through my eyelids, and I'm feeling light-headed, "Re- I can't- Remus-"

"Ssh, deep breaths, look at me," He pulls back, not letting me face the pitch, where I can hear shouts. I can't think straight- it's not me that's fallen- why did it feel like it's me?

"What's happening?"

*

"Panic attack."

"You serious?" I frown, accepting a chunk of chocolate from Remus, who hasn't left my side for the last two hours.

"I am Sirius, and being serious," Sirius grins, but drops out when I give a disapproving tut, "but it's nothing to be embarrassed of, these things are natural and can happen to anyone."

"And you would know?"

He seems to falter on his words before answering, "It-it happened when I used to get nasty letters from my parents."

I cringe at my stupidity, "I'm sorry."

"No need to be," Sirius smiles, sitting down on the sofa on my right side, "now Moony, shower Novak in affection, she's had a hard day."

"I've already given her chocolate, and she's stolen my jumper. What else is there really?" Remus huffs as I bury myself deeper into the jumper I might have forcefully taken from him.

"Speaking of hard days," I turn to Sirius, "how's James?"

"Got a bruise on his nose and forehead shaped like a snitch," Sirius shrugs, "but other than that he's fine. He told me to leave as soon as he realised that Lily was practically gushing over him."

"Aww poor Sirie, the third wheel," Remus grins, "you're always welcome with us."

"What are we then? Strangers?" I mock scold.

Remus' eyes widen, and he starts to stutter, "That's not- I didn't mean-"

"Ooh, problems this early on in the relationship? Not looking too good."

I laugh as Remus takes the pillow behind him and leans over me to try to smother Sirius to death, "Sirius Black, you home-wrecker!"

*

The news of the accident appears through the school like wildfire, even on a Sunday when most people are sleeping in. The Slytherins are whooping and cheering down the corridors at the knowledge of a lack of seeker, which will almost certainly mean a shameful defeat in the game for Gryffindor.

I trail after Marlene on Monday evening into the common room, only to find a mass of people crowded around the noticeboard and James.

"Good Lord, he's standing on the table again," Marlene tuts, and heads in the direction of the girls' dormitories.

I'm about to follow when James starts to speak, "My dear witches, wizards and mages! You have surely all heard of what has happened to our brave seeker Hollen, and the grave danger we now face. If you are interested in trying out for the team, write your name down. Don't be shy, look, someone's already written their name down."

I squint at the paper he's holding up, and for a moment I think my glasses fool me. But, clear as day, in Potter's scruffy handwriting, is written:

AyLiN NoVaK