«4»

Lilac

The next morning when I woke up it was cold, I didn't want to get up. But I heard dad hustling about in the kitchen and I knew at some point he would come in and drag me out. Then the floorboards creaked and I sat up and watched as Roxi was already dressed and tying her brown wavy hair back.

"Morning sunshine." She greeted and I groaned in response.

"You look stylish this morning." In her black jeans, black studded coat and a red T-shirt that has a pretty girl with a shadow of a devil. I don't even know where she gets these clothing, she just sneaks off and buys things and sometimes she'll share them with me. Dad isn't really a shopper.

"Thanks now get up and get ready for school." She ordered and I instantly covered my myself with my duvet. Warm so warm. "If you're not going to get ready for school then get ready for Jesse." That shook me up, I ran to the dresser and pulled out my grey checkered skirt and a black T-shirt that said in white writing Normal is boring. And that's a well known fact. I brushed my frizzy hair and styled in a half up half hair do and clipped a sparkly skull on the back.

"Should I wear lipstick?" I asked her and she rolled her eyes. "What?"

"You don't have to doll up for him. He did rat us out last night."

"Maybe it was just his friends besides I'm not looking good for him I'm looking good for myself." I stated proudly and she mumbled something under her breath. But I just ignored her and put on my dark purple lipstick. I checked myself out in the mirror and I don't like what I see. My hair has split ends, I have dark bags under my eyes, my lips are the size of Uranus and I have a pointed out chin. (A very serious deform or flaw.)

"Girls come on you'll miss your bus!" Dad yelled out and Roxi grabbed our gross-gusting brown school  bags and tossed me mine, I caught it and slipped on while opening the door for Roxi. We ran to the kitchen and I ran to the fridge while Roxi readied the toaster. I got out the strawberry jam and a butter knife and then the toast popped out. Roxi tossed me the toast and I caught them both with a plate dad left out for us and I put it on the kitchen bench and with swift movements spread the jam on the toast. We've got skills... That's wasted on toast... "Could have done that faster." Dad said as he walked in with a timer in his hand. I sighed and just gave Roxi her piece of toast and chucked the plate in the sink. We don't care much for cleaning up around the place so crumbs on the kitchen is no bother for us, plus we don't have a vacuum.

"Mr Valentine..." Roxi started looking at him through her long lashes. He sat down at the round dining table and stared her with no comforting smile.

"Yes."

"I... Need another pocketknife." She said and he sighed.

"You lost yours."

"Yeah... In the vampires neck." She said nervously and he cracked a smile which seemed to make Roxi smile in relief. They always seem standoffish towards each other so it's good see them come down and just chill.

"I doubt you'll need one at school so I'll see what I can find for you." He said then unravelled his newspaper.

"Hey dad? Can I use a gun?" I had to ask! Because he let Roxi use one.

"You can't threaten your teachers to give you no homework."

"That wasn't why I wanted one but that thought has been added to my bucket list." He laughed his eyes concentrating on the newspaper. "I just want to know when we get to go hunting with you."

"Bus is here." He said and Roxi chuckled while walking out of the kitchen. He's safe for now... I sighed and kissed his cheek before running after Roxi. She waited at the front door for me and when I closed it behind me we ran to the big yellow bus. Roxi smiled sweetly at the old man driving and he smiled nodding at both of.