XXXV. Maven

Brynjolf led Saelihn out of the Ratway and back through the graveyard. Saelihn mentally prepared herself on the way.

Maven Black-Briar.

Bitch.

Even before becoming Guild Master, Saelihn didn't like Maven. She'd worked jobs for her on occasion, and each time -- though she'd gotten the job done, and done well -- Maven was upset.

Maven Black-Briar practically owned Riften. Her meadery was so successful and so popular that she had investments in every other store in Riften. The guards answered to her every beck and call, even above the jarl's orders.

It was too much power.

The Bee and Barb was Riften's tavern and inn. It was run by an Argonian couple, Talon-jei and Keerava. Saelihn's relationship with these two was rocky at best, given that she'd had to pummel coin out of Keerava as her initiation mission for the guild. But ever since she'd helped Talon-jei find amethysts for an engagement ring, they'd gotten along.

Saelihn and Brynjolf entered the Bee and Barb to a washed-out golden light. Many people, most wearing the decorous robes of nobles, were seated in various tables scattered around the tavern. Keerava was on the other side of the bar, speaking with one of the men sitting in front of her. Talon-jei watched them enter and gave a curt nod.

They took an immediate left, up a ladder and to the rooms upstairs, arranged around a spacious landing. In a secluded corner on the other side of the landing was a desk tucked away from view. A woman with a thin brow and even thinner lips curved down into an ever-present frown sat beside the table, scratching something onto a piece of parchment with a black-feathered quill.

Saelihn approached, Brynjolf assuming a safe distance behind her. Maven didn't look up, didn't do anything to even acknowledge that she'd noticed her. Saelihn rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, letting out a sigh.

When Maven had finally folded the parchment and sealed it into an envelope, she glanced up at Saelihn. "Ah, Guild Master," she said in her pompous nasal tone, "how very nice it is to see you again."

Saelihn bit the inside of her cheek. She couldn't even force a smile. "Maven."

Maven raised a thin black eyebrow. "Not one for niceties? No matter. We'll get right to it." She straightened the papers lying on her table. "You've been gone for a few years, so I wouldn't expect you to know this, but -- "

"Hmm. Have you bought out the guild?"

Maven's beady eyes narrowed. She glanced suspiciously at Brynjolf, whose expression revealed nothing. She looked back to Saelihn. "Why, yes. Which means, of course, that your duties are no longer required."

It took a moment for her words to sink in.

Rage boiled in Saelihn's chest, blinding her. Her voice was eerily calm as she asked, "What did you say?"

"I said, I'm relieving you of your duties as Guild Master. From this moment forward, I shall have complete and utter control of the Thieves' Guild and its members, to do with as I please, when I please."

Brynjolf stepped forward, his brow creased. "Now, Maven, this was never discussed -- "

"I don't need to discuss things with you, Brynjolf, in order to implement them."

Saelihn was still stewing. "Why haven't you done this already?"

Maven blinked at her. "As I've said, you've been gone."

Saelihn uncrossed her arms and placed her hands against her hips. "But Brynjolf has taken charge of the Guild since my absence. As second-in-command, the title, role, and duties of the Guild Master all fall to him. It would have been just as binding to relieve him of command as it is to relieve me of command."

Maven's eyes squinted. "Don't even pretend to understand these things, elf. Now get out of my sight, and don't let me catch you giving any more orders. That capability falls to me now."

Saelihn hesitated for a few moments, until she felt Brynjolf's hand gently pull her arm back. They made their way downstairs and out the door.

The night was calm and peaceful. Instead of continuing on to the Thieves' Guild, Saelihn paused on a bridge overlooking the canal just outside The Bee and Barb. She rested her forearms on the wooden railing, shifting her weight onto one leg and hanging her head.

The wood creaked as Brynjolf came to her side. "Lass?" His voice was laced with concern.

Saelihn said nothing for a time. She focused on the constant ripple of the water in the canal, trying to stabilize her breathing.

Brynjolf's hand came to rest on her shoulder. "I'm -- lass, I'm so sorry. Maven, she...she didn't tell me."

Saelihn shook her head, straightening and twisting out of Brynjolf's reach. "It isn't your fault, then. She withheld the terms." She sighed. Her heart had finally stopped racing, but her hands still shook, a side effect of her rage.

It had been a long time since she'd been this angry.

"Come on," she said to Brynjolf. "Guards are getting nervous."

It was true, the guards were beginning to give the couple suspicious glances, there was another reason for Saelihn's desire to get back underground.

Together, they jogged back to the graveyard and went through the secret entrance back down to the cistern. Most of the guild members were curled up on beds by now. The others were simply trying to pass the time.

Saelihn led Brynjolf up to the raised platform in the center of the cistern, where they were surrounded by rushing water and wouldn't be overheard.

Brynjolf spread his hands. "Now what, lass?"

Saelihn crossed her arms and bit her lip. "I have an idea," she started. "But it's a bit radical."

Brynjolf raised a brow at her. "I think I've had my share of radical plans."

Saelihn hesitated. "It involves Maven."

Brynjolf stepped closer. "Go on."

Saelihn took in a deep breath. "Maven Black-Briar needs to die."

Brynjolf pulled away, his eyes wide with shock. "Lass, I...well, that's definitely radical, but...are you sure? We're a guild of thieves, not assassins. Besides, the Dark Brotherhood will take care of her if she really does need to die."

Saelihn almost laughed. "No. They won't. Because the Dark Brotherhood no longer exists."

Brynjolf's jaw dropped. "Really, eh? What about their leader?"

Saelihn gave him a pointed look with her lips pursed. "What about me?"

Brynjolf took another step back, then lost his footing. A loud splash accompanied his fall into the water, and Saelihn waited patiently for his head to reappear above the water. Spluttering and sopping wet, Brynjolf trudged out of the shallow water and back to where Saelihn stood, trying her best to hold in her laughter.

The fits of giggles ceased, however, once Brynjolf stormed up to her and gripped her by her shoulders. "Do you mean to tell me that all this time, you were the leader of the Brotherhood?"

For the first time since she'd met him, Saelihn was afraid of Brynjolf. "No. I swear. I didn't join until after becoming a Nightingale and leaving the guild."

Brynjolf gave her a long look. "All right, lass." He released her. "I trust you."

Saelihn rubbed at her shoulders, Brynjolf giving her an apologetic shrug. "Well, as I was saying, I have a plan. And it involves the entire guild."

The corner of Brynjolf's mouth curled up. "Go on."