[ five ]

Disclaimer: This chapter gets steamy. Be mature about it.

_____

I snapped out of my comfortable slumber to the sound of my upstairs neighbor arguing with his mother yet again. My hair was a mess and I still had on last night's top with a pair of Spongebob boxers. I reached over for my phone and I couldn't help myself, I just felt the need to check if anything was posted anywhere about last night.

There was nothing on Nate's snapchat or anything. Cris hadn't tweeted about him, surprisingly. The only thing was Swazz's snapchat. In the background of the series of videos, I could clearly see Cris sitting on Nate's lap as he looked through his phone & smoked. Even when she wasn't on camera, she found a way to let herself be known by shouting or giggling. The whole thing made me roll my eyes & toss my phone to the other side of the bed.

I got up and went over to put more food in Loki's bowl.

"Morning champ," I told the cutest hedgehog in the world. "Why do we always want what we can't have? Huh? I swear. It's like putting a nice slice of cake in front of me but then putting a laser forcefield around it. The universe is just having a go at me. Then again this is my fault. I need to stop mixing business with pleasure. He's my boss, not my boyfriend. Besides...Jaxon is super cute and sweet. Charming, to say the least. Why isn't he more appealing to me? I don't get it. This, Loki, is a definite flaw in the human psyche. Good thing I'm only on call today. We'll figure this out."

With payday lingering within a few days, I was busy thinking about the kind of champagne I was going to buy that I promised Elijah. I plopped back onto my bed. It was only 30 seconds before my phone beeped with a message.

NATE: Can you come over? Emergency.

"Shit," I whispered. I wasted no time throwing clothes on and hitting the road.

+

I hurried to the front door and stood in the foyer

"Nate?" I called out. "I'm here, where are you?"

"My room," I heard him say from down the hall. When the boss says it's an emergency, you don't take your sweet time.

"What's up," I ask, trying to catch my breath.

He was standing by the window, fidgeting with the hem of his sleeve. He seemed anxious and worried.

"What's the, uh...what's the emergency?" I set my keys and phone on the dresser.

A corner of his mouth rose a bit when he turned to look at me.

"You look normal," he spoke, averting the question.

"Normal?"

"Yeah like you aren't trying too hard to fit in, you're just Lux."

"I-I'm sorry, I was under the impression something was wrong," I cleared my throat. The last thing I wanted to talk about was my contrast in wardrobe.