Part Ⅴ

--

You received a sudden text from Ichi that same morning. It was unexpected of him not to text beforehand, but it didn't matter much as you opened the front door.

His hair was unkempt as usual, a thin line of in-expression tugging on the corners of his lips.

You joked once that he'd be cuter if he smiled, his reply being:

"Eh? It'd be creepy smiling with the eyes of a dead fish."

This actually had made you laugh, much to his surprise.

You watched now as his eyes returned to the floor, removing his shoes in a slow, careful manner. Patiently, you stepped aside as he made his slouching entrance.

"Sorry for coming in like this." He announced dryly.

"It's alright! I don't mind." You smiled as he made eye contact with you.

This seemed to relax him a bit more as he took a seat on the couch.

"Thanks, but... I have something important to tell you." He mumbled, struggling with his words.

You scooted closer to him, waiting as he started speaking again.

"They...my brothers know about us." He said finally.

Everything grew quiet between you both immediately.

Ichi hadn't mentioned your relationship with him?

It was expected of him, of course, but -

"How come? Why didn't you want them to know?" You blurted out.

It came out harsher than anticipated, as you felt guilty following his reply:

"Because I wasn't sure! I was scared of being made fun of, alright?" He spat, his voice growing louder than you ever heard from him.

More silence followed.

You felt worried, especially for Ichimatsu. His brothers... Did they really..?

"You didn't get pushed out, did you? Coming here on your own like this and-"

"No," he interrupted, "I just felt overwhelmed..and really all they were doing was trying to help me."

He sighed, all the stress leaving his shoulders. It seemed talking had made him feel better, although you couldn't tell.

"I should go back, shouldn't I?" His voice grew to a whisper.

You nodded, feeling brave enough to reach for his hand. He jumped slightly at the contact, a bright blush tinting his cheeks.

"Thanks... (Name), I wouldn't have done this without you." He smiled.

Your stomach filled with butterflies at how genuine he sounded.

"I-It's nothing, really! I'm always here for you Ichi!" You stuttered.

He pecked you on the cheek, his last gesture before he stood up to leave.

--