Chapter 35

"Jaynose! I'm Whitefur's mate! I can't be yours too!" Mistfur exclaimed.

"Yes, but I... love you. You are my favorite cat." Jaynose replied.

Just now, the cats, Frostfire, Jaynose, and Somehow, Dawnwhisker, Swiftjay and Whitefur's spirit carried Mistfur to an old tree. It had awful scents that could hide her scent. Not even the patrols would find them. Mistfur tried not to thrash.

Mistfur felt a strong ripple pass through her body. Her kits were coming. "Help..."

It had felt like nine lifetimes to Mistfur. Four little fur bundles were by Mistfur. "They're beautiful," Whitefur's spirit purred. "What are you going to name them?"

"This one is Kestrelkit. He's the only tom. And these kits are Squirrelkit and Flamekit." Whitefur and Jaynose looked at one who looked like a tiny copy of Sandwing, a cat who died saving her clan from dogs. "And this is Sandkit." Mistfur heard a gasp from Whitefur's spirit.

"I think Sandwing will LOVE that." Dawnwhisker purred.

"I think so too. Hey, did you tell Hopestar I had my kits? She doesn't know this yet." Mistfur asked. "No, not yet." Dawnwhisker replied.

"Good. NO ONE must tell her this. It is not possible for a cat to be a queen and a deputy at the same time. Hopestar knows you're 'having' kits, right?" Mistfur continued.

"Yeah, because Wetnose told me I was having kits. And she faked it..." Dawnwhisker replied.

"Say you had your kits! Say it! YOU can nurse my kits!" Mistfur meowed.

"WHAT?! Why in the name of StarClan would I do that?" Dawnwhisker hissed.

"Because, I want to be leader. I want you to take care of my kits. Please. I need to continue as a deputy. Take care of

Kestrelkit, Squirrelkit, Flamekit, and Sandkit. Please." Mistfur begged.

"All right. I can do it. But ONLY if you make me deputy when you become leader, ok? You will be leader very soon... Hopestar has one life left!" Dawnwhisker replied.

"Deal." Mistfur meowed. Goodbye, my kits, I shall put you in the paws of a responsible mother... Mistfur thought. Then Mistfur's kits were Dawnwhisker's kits now.

***

Mistfur was asleep, thinking of her kits and dreaming about StarClan telling her some things about it.

"Thunderstar? From ThunderClan?" Mistfur gasped.

"Greetings, young one. Meet some of the former leaders from each of the clans, Shadowstar of ShadowClan, Windstar of WindClan, and Riverstar from RiverClan." Thunderstar meowed.

"Where are Grassstar, Breezestar, Sunstar, and Miststar then?" Mistfur asked.

"These three other cats are Grassstar, Breezestar, and Sunstar. You, Mistfur, are going to be the first Miststar. That is, if you survive the badgers." Thunderstar replied.

"Badgers?" Mistfur asked. "What badgers, Thunderstar?" Windstar demanded. "Listen, everyone. There are badgers coming to attack MistClan." Thunderstar hissed in reply.

"WHAT?!" Mistfur yowled. Shadowstar yowled, but was interrupted. "Thunderstar-" "That can't be true, is it, Thunderstar?" Riverstar continued.

"That is true, Riverstar. Mistfur, you must warn Hopestar, Adderstar, Brownstar, Petalstar, and the clans, MistClan, SunClan, BreezeClan, and GrassClan about the badgers. We have a few other cats from ThunderClan with info about the badgers' attack," Thunderstar continued.

Then came a ginger tom with a flame colored pelt, a pale tom with dark stripes, and a black she-cat with green eyes.

"Greetings, young Mistfur. I am Firestar, the former leader of ThunderClan. Bramblestar is the leader now... Anyway, the badgers are arriving tomorrow. You must warn your clan as soon as possible." The flame colored tom meowed. "TOMORROW?! I need to warn my clan right now!" Mistfur yowled.

"Wait, before you do, sleep for a while longer." The pale tom meowed. The tom looked blind to Mistfur. "Who... are you?" Mistfur asked. "My name is Longtail, and you should rest. If you warn your clan now, the elders may be grumpy," Longtail warned. "Okay, thank you." Mistfur meowed.

"Wait! I have something to tell you. The kits you gave away... may be in danger!" The black cat meowed. "Wait, are you... Hollyleaf! It's been a long time since I've seen you!" Mistfur screeched with joy. "Mistfur?! Is that you?! Wow, I can't believe you're deputy now!" Hollyleaf replied.

"Hollyleaf! You know Mistfur?!" Breezestar asked, with shock in her amber eyes. "Yeah. DO YOU???" Grassstar asked, with a little fear in his green eyes. Sunstar, he just sat there in dismay, thinking if MistClan will actually be destroyed for good.

"Yeah. We're good friends. I wonder if Mistfur and her clan will be destroyed for good... Hopefully Mistfur doesn't die, right, Mistfur?" Hollyleaf meowed in question. "Yes!" Mistfur meowed back.

"Good. And did you hear about pictureboards?" Hollyleaf asked. Mistfur meowed in pure boredom. "Pictureboard? Like these 'televisions'?" Mistfur asked. "Yes," Hollyleaf replied. Mistfur meowed: "Okay. I get it now-" "Someone's coming. Wake up. Wake up. WAKEEEEE UUUUPPPP!" Firestar hissed.

***

"EEP!" Mistfur hissed.

"What in the name in StarClan is wrong, Mistfur?" Hopestar yowled. "I have to tell you and the whole clan something. Please start a clan meeting. This is VERY important!" Mistfur hissed to Hopestar. "All right. Let all cats join for a clan meeting!" Hopestar ordered.

"Mistfur and Hopestar! What's going on?" Dawnwhisker popped out of the nursery and

Kestrelkit, Squirrelkit, Flamekit, and Sandkit followed her.

My kits... are in the paws of a good mother. Mistfur thought. Mistfur felt tears come to her eyes, but she blinked them away in time to say, "BADGERS ARE COMING TO MISTCLAN!"