Prologue (REVISED!)

Click above to see the (old and awfully terrible) animation. It will be redone ASAP. XD

---------

Miststar panted quickly as she tried to hold on to a cliff. There was a dog with its jaws clamped on Miststar's hind leg.

"Hold on, Miststar!" Miststar's deputy yowled.

Miststar coughed and panted. She growled softly. Her claws and paws could not support her much anymore.

Let go. The voice was familiar.

Whitefur?

Let go, Miststar. You know you cannot support yourself. You have done well to protect your clan for nine long lives.

Miststar looked up to the sky, stricken by clouds and a golden sunset gleam. I understand... I just can't do it anymore...

Miststar sighed and let go of the cliff, letting herself fall into the water with the dog.

"Miststar!" Her deputy's piercing scream echoed across the sky.

You have done well enough, Miststar. Well enough...

Miststar closed her eyes and prepared to land into the water. As she landed with a loud splash, the dog let go and drowned. Miststar frantically moved her paws to get to the surface. But her hind leg hurt badly. She could see blood blend into the water from where the dog once was.

She sighed and got ready to meet StarClan, without telling her kits and deputy how much she loved them.

But then two cats landed into the water. Squirrelnose and Kestreltail.

Miststar looked at them.

"Oh, Miststar!" She could barely make out Squirrelnose's words underwater. "I never thought this was going to happen!"

Sq...Squirrelnose..?

Miststar let out a long breath of air and closed her eyes, letting the blackness wash over her.

But then, before dying, Miststar was pulled out of water. 

She opened her eyes and looked in front of her. She could only see five blurs. But then she blinked twice and saw five cats. There was one tomcat. That tom was Kestreltail, her son. And there were four she-cats. They were her three daughters, Squirrelnose, Flamewhisker, and Sandfur. The fourth she-cat was her deputy, Snowpelt. 

Miststar let out a wavery sigh and meowed, "I have had many moons with you all. I was proud of all of you." Miststar choked up some water.

Sandfur shook her head, teary-eyed. "I never knew you were our mother. I thought Dawnwhisker was our mother." Sandfur meowed quietly.

"Miststar! You're losing another life!" Snowpelt cried. The leader's eyes were clouded with grief as she meowed, "This is not any particular life... It's my ninth."

Immediately she saw Kestreltail recoil. "No! You're... our mother. Please help us become better warriors." He meowed. The leader's daughters and son were horrified as they saw their mother lose her final life.

Miststar only shook her head and replied, "Don't grieve for me. I have had a wonderful life." She closed her eyes and murmured, "I have a prophecy for you... Words from Whitefur himself."

"Please don't say these are your final words." Squirrelnose meowed with grief. Miststar said nothing, closing her eyes.

"But the prophecy was: Four kits are a leader's heart!" Flamewhisker cried.

"I know... But at first, I didn't get it... It was strange but now... I remember. My kits. You four. Kestreltail, Squirrelnose, Flamewhisker, and Sandfur... You four are the kits in the prophecy. I am the leader in the prophecy, and..."

She saw the others shiver and heard them gasp softly.

"...that means you will always be in my heart. I will treasure this moment with you, now and forever." She continued.

Then her voice came out in a mere whisper. The other five cats had to strain their ears to hear: "Now, the new prophecy is: One leader must challenge another, to foreclose the darkness in our land."

The cats were confused. "What does that mean, Miststar?" Sandfur meowed. Miststar then felt herself losing strength. It seemed that Miststar was almost to death.

"I do not know. But I'm sure it'll-" She paused to gasp. "-be... So long, Kestreltail, Squirrelnose, Flamewhisker-" She paused to cough. "-and Sandfur. Snowpelt, you will be known as Snowstar when you receive nine lives, and I will miss you all. I just want you to make your first deputy choice, right here... Now... Who will it be?"

"But, Miststar! Right in front of my dying leader?" Snowpelt asked. "Yes." Miststar replied. "I would like that."

Snowpelt sighed and replied, "It would have to be... Kestreltail. He is a fine warrior."

"I appreciate it, Snowpelt- Snowstar." Kestreltail mewed.

"What?" Snowpelt meowed, nearly gasping. "Kestreltail, you're speaking as if... She..." Miststar's deputy paused, closing her eyes sadly.

There was no need for Miststar to live any longer. She had to sleep in peace, and reunite with Whitefur and her lost dead son. She sighed and murmured her final words: "Goodbye... Remember, One leader must challenge another, to foreclose the darkness in our land. And: Four kits are a leader's heart... My heart."

There was no need to worry now. Snowpelt, no, Snowstar would lead MistClan with courage and skill, as Miststar had. The last bit of color shone into her eyes and a flurry of white stars came to her side. Miststar sighed and closed her eyes, giving way to dizzying blackness. Whitefur... I'm coming for you.

As soon as she joined the stars, she heard Snowpelt sigh. "It's all over." Then the five remaining cats grieved for Miststar, before burying her at sunpass around MistClan's camp.

"Goodbye, Miststar. Thank you for everything." Snowpelt mewed softly. With a hint of sadness she added, "I'll never forget you."