Chapter 2 (REVISED!)

A moon has passed since Mistpaw began her apprenticeship. Whitefur and her are now training in the ranks of the MistClan boundaries.

"Whitefur, how does a cat in MistClan become a warrior?" Mistpaw asked.

"Well, they have to go through the training. As soon as an apprentice is ready to become a warrior, He or she may have most experience from their mentor, and some with their personality." Whitefur briefly explained.

"Wow, I didn't know this was all a big responsibility," Mistpaw meowed. "What if you wanted to change your mentor? I'm not saying I don't like you as a mentor, because I do, but what if you wanted to?"

Whitefur looked at her and replied, "If you would like to change your mentor, you would have to consult your leader. In this case, Hopestar. Otherwise you'll get a 3 moon penalty of being in the nursery instead of training with your mentor," Whitefur warned. "I heard the apprentices that are trained by their leader will make great leaders." Whitefur continued.

"Some cats aren't trained by their leaders, and will make great leaders, right?" Mistpaw asked.

Mistpaw heard a purr rumble in his throat as he murmured, "Of course."

***

A quarter moon has passed since their chat. Heatherfur's kits were born today...

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come join beneath the Highrock for a Clan meeting. I have exciting news." Hopestar called. "Let's go, Mistpaw." Whitefur called. As soon as all the cats arrived, Hopestar announced:

"Today, six kits have been born to Heatherfur and Tigerheart. There are 4 toms and 2 she-cats. Heatherfur wanted us to name these kits." That's a lot of kits, Mistpaw thought. I wonder what they will be named. "I will name this she-kit, and five lucky cats selected by me will name the rest." Hopestar called. "This kit shall be known as Goldenkit! Now this tom... Who should name it... Ah! Applenose!"

"Okay, this one will be Cinderkit," Applenose meowed.

"Whitefur, come name this tom." Hopestar purred. Why did Hopestar purr? Maybe he's her closest friend... Mistpaw didn't know that Whitefur was Hopestar's brother. After all, she actually had heard Hopestar say, "You're the best brother ever" one time.

She looked up from her thoughts and smiled at Whitefur.

"I will name this kit Scorchkit..." Whitefur purred back.

"Can you call up 3 other cats for me?" Hopestar murmured, loud enough for the cats to hear. "Okay, Crowpool? Name this she-cat, Poppydawn, name this tom, and the final kit, a tom will be named by..." Whitefur thought for a second. All these lucky warriors are naming the kits. Why can't an apprentice name one- Mistpaw's thinking was broken by the last cat to be called. "I will choose Mistpaw, my apprentice." Whitefur meowed.

"What?! Me?" Mistpaw was excited to hear that.

Immediately murmuring broke out in the crowd. She only heard:

"What?! She's an apprentice! She can't pick! Only warriors are allowed!" Cedarheart hissed.

"She's my daughter. I'll allow it. Don't be so mousebrained." Redfur meowed.

"Yeah, Cedarheart, say that to my face, fox dung!" Sandwing screeched.

"Fine. Be that way..." Cedarheart hissed to Sandwing.

"Okay, this she-cat will be Dawnkit." Crowpool meowed. "I would like to name this kit Pinekit," Poppydawn announced. "And this kit will be..." Mistpaw thought and thought. She just couldn't come up with a name. Then suddenly a name popped into her head. "I got it! Jaykit!"

"Jaykit!" Heatherfur purred loudly. After all, she had to be nice. Mistpaw was her friend Dovepelt's daughter, so there was no difference to how nice she usually was.

"Mistpaw!" mewed a kit. It was Jaykit. "Oh, Jaykit! That's his first word!" Heatherfur squealed with delight. Mistpaw smiled and looked at Jaykit as he rubbed her leg with his small black body.

"Mistpaw!" Jaykit mewed again, and became affectionate with her. I think he knows Heatherfur and I are friends, she thought.

"Jaykit, if I was a warrior, and you were an apprentice, I will mentor you." Mistpaw meowed. "I don't think you'll be with this joker!" Hopestar teased.

Mistpaw turned to her and growled.

"Okay! Okay! I can make up jokes later."

Mistpaw sighed towards Hopestar. "Thank you."

Hopestar bowed her head and meowed, "Everyone, you are dismissed." She then whispered softly to Mistpaw and Whitefur, "Mistpaw, Whitefur? How about you play around with the new kits in the nursery? You can show them apprentices' duties and whatnot."

I'll teach Jaykit, Dawnkit, and Pinekit, Mistpaw thought. Whitefur and Mistpaw headed off to the nursery with Heatherfur and the kits and they began to teach the kits with gentle approaches, since they were just kits.

Softly Mistpaw explained, "Listen, Jaykit, Dawnkit, and Pinekit. I just became an apprentice at Sunhigh one moon ago. So I'm not sure about this stuff, I still need training."

"Really? I thought being an apprentice was easy," Dawnkit mewed.

Mistpaw shook her head and murmured, "It's not easy. Whitefur told me that they have to go through the training. As soon as an apprentice is ready to become a warrior, He or she may have most experience from their mentor, and some with their personality."

"Whitefur's smart," Pinekit mewed. "One day he can choose me for an apprentice! I would rather be a medicine cat or something easy though..."

"Can you teach us how to be apprentices in 5 and 3 quarters of a moon?" Jaykit asked. "Of course." Mistpaw meowed. "Listen closely now."

She showed the kits a hunting technique and jumped around a bit.

The kits started to copy her and laugh.

"Try a stalking pose." Whitefur came in and showed them. They copied him as well.

The outside started to get darker by the minute.

Mistpaw was telling them a story. "And then BOOM! I was almost shocked by the lightning. But then, I was instead scared by thunder. When I was a kit I got scared easily."

Jaykit cuddled under her paw. "I will help you not get scared! I will protect you!"

Mistpaw laughed with a purring tone a mrrow. "I have to go to bed."

"Come back tomorrow?" Pinekit asked.

"You bet. See you later, kits. Whitefur?" She saw Whitefur playing with the kits. He looked at her as she signaled her tail. "Come on! We're going to the gathering at icemoon, right?"

"Oh, yeah. Bye, kits!"

"Bye!" The kits called as the two left.

Mistpaw bowed to Whitefur. "Good night, see you later."

"See you."

The two went to their dens and Mistpaw sat in her nest. She lay down and closed her eyes as the world got dimmer and dimmer and the area seemed like nothing but pure darkness.