Chapter 27

I was too busy over thinking everything about this chapter instead of writing it, hence the late update. Turned out I needed to stop thinking so much and just start writing.

So I got a lot of comments about why Haley walked out on Nate, I think @Bamagrana managed to explain it perfectly well. And I hope that this chapter will clear it out some more.

Hope you guys enjoy it<3!

Matthew Perryman Jones – Without A Clue

------------------

My feet dragged me towards the woods, I didn’t shift into my black wolf, but didn’t stop walking either. Ever since Nathaniel told me that my mother was kidnapped by the killer of my father I was in some kind of daze and my legs seemed to work on their own accord.

Nathaniel. I just walked out of his office without as much as an explanation to where I was headed, but how could I explain where I was going when I didn’t even know it myself. My thoughts were all jumbled and my wolf was even more confused than I was.

I didn’t know where to start looking for her. We were trying for a while now to track Joshua down, without any success and him kidnapping my mother wasn’t going to get us closer to him. Unless he wanted us to get closer to him.

A part of me wanted to go back to Nathaniel, to have his strong arms securely around me and hear him whisper reassuring words to me. But another, much stronger, part wanted to find Joshua and rip him into a million pieces. The only problem was, how was I going to find him?

I stopped in the middle of the woods and mind linked Aaron. I told him to bring some of the fighters with him and meet me at Nathaniel’s territory. I kept the conversation short. I still needed to process the news that I received and talking to Aaron wasn’t going to help me get there.

I hit my palm against my forehead repeatedly. “Stupid, stupid, stupid,” I told myself and started walking again.

I should’ve known, I should’ve known something was wrong. I wasn’t even sure why I let her go to the city in the first place. But then again, it wasn’t like I could’ve forbidden her from going. Maybe I should’ve used my position as an Alpha to keep her here?

These could’ve, would’ve, should’ve’s were driving me crazy. Nothing I could do was going to change the past, it made me feel helpless.

“Give yourself some credit. You’re not that stupid,” Warren, who jogged to catch up with me, was suddenly walking by my side. I didn’t even notice his presence.

I was about to ask him what he was doing here, but I bit back my words, remembering that I was the one who asked him to accompany me to Nathaniel’s pack.

Instead I only said, “Not now, Warren.”

“What’s going on?” Warren asked with concern now clearly in his voice. When I didn’t answer him he stepped in front of me and prevented me from walking any further. “Haley?” he cautiously asked as he eyed me suspiciously.

“My mother got kidnapped and you’re wasting time by blocking my way,” I said, my voice sounding stone cold.

Warren’s mouth dropped open in shock. He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it again, thinking better of it. He seemed deep in thought, struggling with finding the right words to say. I just kept looking at him, waiting for him to say what he had to say so I could go.

“So what now?” he finally asked.

“Now, I’m going to the city and see if he’s stupid enough to leave a trail behind,” I answered him as the idea suddenly popped into my head.