Four: My Past

I woke up in someone's lap. They're sitting on the ground with their legs crossed. I'm sitting sideways in the middle of their legs with my head against their chest, and they have their arms wrapped protectively around me. This someone smells like the ocean and chocolate. I look up and find Percy's kind, green eyes looking down at me. I look to his left and find Annabeth's comforting gray eyes looking at me. I smile, close my eyes, and lean into Percy.

After a few minutes I open my eyes and turn a little so that my legs are draped over the front of Percy's legs. I lean into Percy, my back against his stomach, and take in my surroundings. We're sitting on a doc at the edge of a lake. From where I'm sitting I can see the cabins that I saw earlier, the pavilion thing where we ate lunch, and a rock climbing wall with lava coming out the sides. Yikes.

Percy wraps his arms around me and kisses the top of my head. Annabeth scoots closer to us and takes Percy's hand. She leans her head on Percy's shoulder and for the first time in a long time, I'm happy.

"How long was I asleep?" I ask in a sort of groggy way. Can you blame me? I just woke up.

"Um about an hour," Percy responds after checking his watch. I nod and yawn, still trying to wake up from my nap.

"Hey Lane," Annabeth's angelic voice cut through the silence. She continues, "There's some things that I need to talk to you about. Would you like Percy to stay and talk with us, or would you feel better if it was just me and you?"

"Umm.. He can stay I guess," I respond, not completely confident in my words. Annabeth hesitates but acknowledges me with a nod. I look around and tense when I noticed some other campers within earshot. I think Annabeth got the hint because she stands up and picks me up out of Percy's lap. Percy stands up and starts walking, Annabeth following with me. Percy turns his head so he could say something to me.

"Lane we're just going to go to my cabin that way there isn't so many other campers around. Is that okay?" Percy questions. I nod, relax a little, and rest my head on Annabeth's shoulder. We arrived in front of a cabin and Percy opens the door, holding it open so we can enter. As soon as I step into the room it feels like I am at home. The cabin smells like the ocean. I love the smell of the ocean. The walls are blue and only one bed looks as if it is being occupied. Other than that, it's vacant.

Annabeth sits down on the occupied bed, placing me beside her. Percy sits down and leans against the wall. He puts his arm around me and I lean into his side.

"So..." I begin, "What did you guys want to talk to me about? I understand the whole Greek gods thing and that one of the gods is my parent. I'm assuming it's my dad. I never met him. Before my mom- um.. my dad didn't stick around very long. My mom passed when I was six. Been in and out of foster homes and orphanages since. No one wanted me..." My eyes begin to water. A few tears slip out and roll down my cheeks. I quickly wipe my face, hoping they didn't notice. Given the sympathetic looks they're giving me, I think they noticed.

Annabeth starts talking, "Okay so you understand the whole gods thing. Well, all of the myths are true and this place is called Camp Half-Blood. All of us are safe from monsters here." I nod because I already kind of figured that. If I was only one demigod and I attracted a monster, I can't imagine what a place with 100+ demigods would attract.

Annabeth continues talking, "Lane what I really want to talk to you about is your past." I immediately tense up at the mention of my past. Percy notices and begins to gently rub my arm, trying to soothe me. I look up at Percy and then I look at Annabeth. She gets the message and looks at Percy. He kisses my cheek, slides off the bed, and quietly exits the cabin. I turn to Annabeth.

"Who changed me when I was in the infirmary?" I ask her in a small and weak voice, trying not making eye contact. I glance at her and her face softens.

"It was me," she responds in a soft and quiet tone, as if speaking too loud would cause me to break. I nod and feel the hot, salty tears roll down my face.

      "It's.. It's not that big of a deal," I start, "Just a few scars. That's all. A couple people who didn't like me. It's not a big deal. I'm okay. I'm fine. I'm..." I start sobbing. I crawl over to Annabeth and she pulls me into her lap and rocks me back and forth. Once I am a little bit calmer, I look up at her and I know that there is no way out of this.

      "I was six," I simply state. "I was six years old when my mother passed away. I didn't have any other family so I was forced into an orphanage. Then a foster care home. Back an forth up until I came here. I don't know how many. I lost count after 14... There were people who didn't like me. I still don't know why. They hit me. One or two used a knife. I was never at their house for long. I always got moved. I was put in an orphanage a couple months ago. Right before school started. I was there until my teacher turned into a monster and Lily... Oh gosh. Where's Lily?!" I look up at Annabeth, expecting an answer.

      "When we found you, you were unconscious laying on the other side of the boundary. Lily was laying on top of you. You guys were being attacked and she knew it was the only way to say you. I am so sorry baby girl. Lily didn't make it," She responded. I started crying a little more, but nodded.

      Why me? Why does everyone I like have to die? I lean back against Annabeth and try to process everything she said. Lily was my hero. She saved me. It should've been me.

     "It should've been me," I say.

      "What?" Annabeth asks, taken aback by my sudden statement.

      "It should have been me," I say again, "She was too innocent to die. She was too pure. I'm nothing! I'm worthless! IT SHOULD BE ME THATS DEAD! NOT HER! NOT HER!" At this point I'm sobbing. I slide out of Annabeth's lap and collapse on the floor, crying my heart out. I scream and cry. Annabeth picks me up and I attempt to wiggle out of her grasp. That only makes her hold tighter. Eventually I go limp in her arms, still crying but too exhausted to fight back. Percy runs through the door and pulls Annabeth and me into a hug. We stay like that until my crying stops.

      After probably 20 minutes my crying completely subsides. Annabeth sets me down on the bed and kneels in front of me. Percy steps back and just observes what is happening.

      "Elaine. You are not nothing. You are not worthless. You are beautiful and precious. I have only known you for one day and I cannot imagine my life without you in it now. Me and Percy, we love you so so much, okay? We love you and we never want anything bad to happen to you ever," Annabeth says, searching my eyes for any kind of understanding. I stare at her for a second before standing up and hugging her. She stands up, holding me and Percy joins in on the hug.

      I whisper, "I love you too."

I notice Annabeth and Percy both smile, indicating that they heard me. I didn't know that I had it in me, but somehow I join them and a small smile finds its way onto my face. We all stand there, none of us wanting to break away from the hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Yo. So I kinda like this chapter. Idk. I like chapter 2 the best so far. Lol no ones reading this. Hi Milena! Okay. Chapter 5 will prolly be up tomorrow. I feel like I'm talking to the campers in the Hera cabin lol. K bye nonexistent people