Daryl // you're cute

Start from the beginning

"Fine... it's as good a try as anything."

From there we went on in silence again. I was right though, it took us about an hour and way too much gas to reach the flower shop, but it looked awesomely intact. Maybe it hadn't been scavenged before.

"See!", I cheered jumping out of the car. "Looks promising."

"Yeah, don't... just don't crow too soon. We ain't in there yet." Daryl grabbed his crossbow and strutted towards the entrance.

"It ain't locked." He hesitated, his hand on the doorknob. "Could be a trap..."

"Well, just knock on the door as you usually do, see if there's walkers in there?!"

"Ain't that easy", he grunted back looking me up and down.

"Why not?!"

"I got a weird feeling and as I said I ain't gonna run today..." He gave me another rather annoyed glance and I wasn't sure if he was just trying to prove a point or if he really thought we were in danger.

After we finally walked in and found a perfectly fine shop that was in no way a trap or crowded by hungry walkers I was pretty sure he had just tried to prove a point, tried to get into my face. I was willing to forgive him though.

"See!", I grinned as I roamed aisle after aisle to see if we could find anything useful.

"We haven't found anythin' yet", Daryl muttered from behind me. He left it to me to scavenge containers and boxes while he took it upon himself to keep an eye out, 'make sure nothing would stab us in the back'.

"Thanks for the update, I totally did not notice." I rolled my eyes. "I mean it's really cute you're trying to protect me and all, but a little help would be nice", I pouted as I tried to reach one of the boxes stored on the very top of the shelves.

"I ain't cute...and you're tiny", he grumbled stepping beside me to lend me a hand. Where I had tried to double myself to get even close to the box it was easy for him to reach it. With a loud smack it landed on the ground and as the content flooded in front of my feet the biggest grin appeared on my face.

"See!?", I squeaked in excitement. "Crops! Lots of them."

"Yeah, ya were right", he admitted. "We should leave soon. It's gonna get dark."

A quick glance towards the windows told me that the sunlight wouldn't last for more than another hour. "So sweet of you to get the Lady home before it gets dark", I purred.

"What Lady?", Daryl talked back looking me up and down. He couldn't quite hide the little smirk around his lips though. Daryl Dixon was amused. What a rare thing to happen.

"The Lady standing right in front of you...", I pouted.

"Oh yeah? Well, step aside maybe I can see her then." And now there was a real grin on his lips, one of those very rare ones where he wasn't even trying to hide it.

"You're mean...", I smirked turning around to stuff the crops back into the box.

"I know", Daryl shrugged joining me. We found a few more boxes full with crops and after the last hour of daylight had passed we found ourselves sitting in front of the car we had stuffed to the brim with crops and a few flower seeds I had sneaked in. I loved the thought of having flowers in spring and I couldn't bring myself to leave all those lovely flower seeds behind.

"Why do ya keep doing that though?", Daryl suddenly asked.

"Do what?" I looked at him honestly startled. I haven't done anything wrong all day, what was he aiming at?!

"Calling me 'cute' all the time." He shifted around until he was able to look at me too.

"Well...." I felt my cheeks turn red. I had dreaded this moment, knew that one day he would ask and even though I had always thought this to be my chance to be honest I really didn't want to admit it. I was scared of his reaction. However I worked up all my courage and with a deep sigh I continued: "Maybe because I like you..."

I got exactly the reaction I had expected from Daryl. He looked like a deer in front of the approaching headlights of certain death.

"C'mon, Dixon, ain't that much of a catastrophe", I tried to make things better.

"No....", he mumbled. "Why would you like me?!" He looked as if I had just told him Santa wasn't real.

"Well, first, I said 'maybe'...second, why is it such a shock that someone likes you? A lot of people like you... Heck, you're some kind of national hero back at home." I looked him up and down.

"But no one likes me..ya know...that way. Why would you?!"

"Why would I!? Why can't you just accept it. You know, just... roll with it. I'm not obliged to justify what I feel, Daryl. You asked, I answered, now live with it."

"I... I'm sorry", he muttered sheepish. There was a faint red on his cheeks. "Maybe I should.." He cleared his throat. "Maybe now's the time to just...", he stuttered obviously at a lack of words, struggling to phrase his thoughts.

"Now's the time to do what?", I asked leaning slightly forward curious for what it was that made him struggle.

"Nah, forget it", he mumbled turning his face away, hiding his red cheeks from me.

"C'mon, Dixon, you've gone so far, just take the last step", I encouraged. I wanted him to say whatever it was because deep down I knew that he was trying to put into words exactly what I wanted to hear.

"Just forget it. It's embarrassing. I ain't gonna say it", he muttered trying to shut me up.

"Oh, seriously... I just confessed to you, what could possibly be more embarrassing than that?!", I urged.

But instead of giving me a proper answer as I expected, Daryl suddenly leaned forward until his face was only inches away.

"This is", he whispered pressing his lips on mine. When our lips parted again Daryl got up rushing to the car leaving me startled, speechless, not knowing what to do or what to say. With bright red cheeks and the biggest grin on my face I followed him to the car. My knees were weak and my hands shaking as we drove back home with our car full of crops and our hearts full of hope.