Chapter 16 ~ Ethan Porter

Chapter 16 ― Ethan Porter

Nervous is an understatement. I’m like a five-tailed cat in a rocking chair factory and no, it’s not funny. What if Ethan doesn’t approve of me and thinks I’m just some little boy who doesn’t deserve Alex? What if he asks her to dump me because I’m not good enough for her? What if he opposes to us being together? Ethan is all the family Alex has left and if he doesn’t like me then things will be really awkward.

Maybe I should go back to the hotel with the lads and avoid this moment for the rest of my life.

But Alex really wants me to meet Ethan and she tries to put me at ease all the time, but Belle and Phebs tease me and make me even more nervous.

I think I’m gonna puke.

And when the door opens I feel like running. At the other side there’s a tall guy with brown hair and I have to remember that Alex dyes hers black, that’s why they don’t share that feature. He also has green eyes and he has a nose similar to his sister but manly. He is not exactly built, but he is bigger than me.

“Alex!” He exclaims hugging his sister. “Oh God, how I’ve missed you!”

“I’ve missed you, too!” She answers and steps back, so Phebs and Belle can say hello to Ethan as well. Alex comes to me and whispers, “Relax, it’s just my brother. He’s twenty-five! He’s a nice bloke, you’re gonna like him. Ethan, this is my boyfriend, Niall. He’s in the band we are on tour with,” she introduces us to each other.

“Nice to meet you,” he says, his smile completely gone when he lays his eyes upon me and I gulp, actually scared. “I’m Ethan Porter and you must know that if you break my little sister’s heart, I’ll break every bone in you body. Got it?”

I swallow because I know he means those words two hundred per cent. “I would never do that,” I state. “If I do, I’ll break my own bones for you,” I offer because it’s true, I would actually hurt myself before hurting Alex.

Ethan stares at me for a second before he bursts out laughing, really confusing me. “I like this lad,” he says then. “A little bit extreme, but I like it. Come in!”

After that we walk inside and go to the living room, but I’m still a bit tense and Alex notices it.  “Don’t worry. He already likes you and even if he didn’t, I do like you, and very much,” she whispers in my ear and I take a deep breathe.

“And that’s all that matters.” She nods at my statement before she leaves to help her brother.

After that we have a great day and it turns out Ethan is pretty cool. As soon as we find we have in common our love for sports, everything goes smoothly.

 “Your brother is really nice,” I tell her once Ethan leaves to open the door because someone has come to visit him, apparently.

“I told you, and of course he’s nice. He’s my brother! We have the same DNA,” she replies cockily, making me laugh so I kiss her again.

“Dude, I finally got it! You’re gonna love me for this,” an American accent says, catching our attention.

We turn around and see very tall and strong built man dressed in black clothes and combat boots, with black long hair and grey eyes, and as he is smiling, you see his dimples. I have no idea who he is, but I don’t like the way he is staring at Alex.

“Jack, these are my sister and her friends,” Ethan makes the introductions. “Guys, this is my friend and co-worker, Jack.” This American guy approaches us and greets us, but he keeps staring at Alex like she’s the hottest meal on the table. “He’s American, got here very recently,” Ethan explains.

“And I wonder why I didn’t meet you before, considering you’re his sister,” he muses, talking to Alex.

“I don’t live here, I live in London and we’re just passing by,” she answers and I know she is not comfortable with Jack’s attention. I feel it.

I don’t need to be a genius to know that this Jack  dude is flirting with Alex, he looks at her as if he can’t wait to put his hands on her and I don’t like that. Not a little bit, so it’s a relief when he leaves with Ethan to do God knows what.

 “Wow,” Belle comments once we’re left alone in the living room. “I hadn’t seen a guy like that one in a long time.”

“He looks like that guy you love from the movie Thor, but darker,” Phebs says offhandedly and I tense, knowing Alex’s love for Thor.

“You okay?” She asks me.

“Aye, I’m fine” I lie. “So, Alex… you used to date guys like him, uh?” I ask her just because I’m stupid, I guess. Of course she used to date guys like him. Just look at him! He has Alex’s same style.

“Hmm… I guess you can say that,” she replies and I tense even more. “Niall?” She calls me but I can’t meet her eyes, I don’t even quite notice when Phebs and Belle leave the room. “Niall,” Alex calls again and this time I do meet her eyes.

“What?”

“Are you jealous?” She asks me and I feel my cheeks burning immediately. “You are!”

“No, why would I be jealous of a bloke who is just like the kind you like?” I lie pitifully. Seriously, no one would believe me here.

“You are jealous!” I don’t know why she looks so happy about it.

“I’m not!” I protest but she only giggles. “I’m telling you, I’m not jealous of that pompous American dude.” But when I say this Alex bursts out laughing.

“You’re so jealous but that’s kinda cute,” she states biting her lower lip. “But I want you to know this: I like you, very, very much. Yeah, you’re not like the kind I used to date.” I breathe out when she says that. I’ve always known it, it’s obvious, and that fact makes me so nervous all the time. “You’re way better.”

I’m shocked by her words because I wasn’t expecting that but then I can’t help smiling like a fool. I don’t know if I’m better but I’m sure I would never treat Alex like the guys she dated before me. I would never break her heart.

I lean in and kiss her softly because she may be a though girl, but she is also the most precious thing in my life and I’ll cherish her. I know I’m not physically her type, but I’m so damn happy she picked me and gave me a chance. I know we don’t look like we should be together, but I feel like my very soul fits next to her. No one can see that, but I feel it and I guess I should hold on to that every time I get insecure and scared I may lose Alex.

Yes, that’s what I’m gonna do.

-:-:-:-

Dedication to @UnicornsAreSilver for spotting the reference to the song Star Girl by McFly in the previous chapter. Well done!

Bel, xx