Chapter 14 ~ Technical Problems

Chapter 14 ― Technical Problems

We are at sound-check when suddenly the mics stop working. Hullabaloo explodes around us as everyone in our crew team starts to work on how to fix it. The concert is in three hours and if they don't fix this problem soon things are gonna get ugly.

I know Alex is impressive so when Belle coaxes her to help our crew I totally support her. I don't know if she knows this equipment or anything, but I trust her and I know she will fix this. That's why when she tells us to go on stage, I believe her. I don't have room for doubt when it comes to Alex and electronics. And of course she smashes it. Everything works perfectly and she didn't take that long!

We go back to where the girls are waiting and we all talk at the same time.

"That was impressive!"

"How did you do that?"

"Can you teach me?"

"You shut them down! That's my girl!" I say, pride dripping off my voice.

"You're way better than them!"

"Why aren't you working for us?"

"I'm hungry!" she screams louder than any of us and we shut up immediately. "I want to eat something before the show starts, so let's go and then you can ask me whatever you want after picking a number."

We laugh and I go to hug her without waiting a second. "That was impressive, Alex. You kicked their bloody arses!" I compliment her and just because I can, I kiss her check softly.

"It wasn't that hard. They just didn't know where to look for the failure," she states and I smile because I'm sure it wasn't easy, there's a reason why our crew couldn't find the mistake. She is just amazing.

"We should talk to our manager and tell him that you'd be way better than them to be in charge of the sound system," Liam suggests as we all make our way to the dressing room and to the food.

"Oh, that's nice but I don't have a degree yet, I'm just studying. Maybe when I finish Uni and I can't find a job, I will call you begging for an opportunity," she replies and the idea makes my heart race with excitement. If she works for us we will not only have the best sound system, but she would be around all the time. We wouldn't have to separate when I have to leave on tour. This would be perfect!

"When you finish Uni, you have to work with us!" Harry supports and I'm smiling so happy with the idea that I don't even fight when he steals Alex from my arms. "Don't be selfish, Nialler. We also want to hug the geek genius here, okay?"

I pout just so Alex decides to come back, on her own will, to my arms even when Harry is keeping her hostage, but she only laughs. Then Louis joins us with his theatrical self, hugging me and then hugging Alex and Harry. "She's my wife! Let her go, Styles!"

"If you two are gonna fight over Alex, I'm afraid we're gonna have to take her away," Belle states and fights the two boys, trying to break Alex free. "Let her go, now! She can't breathe!"

Only when they hear that, Louis and Harry let go of the green-eyed girl. "Sorry," they apologise.

Taking advantage she was free again, I rush to her side, glaring daggers at the others so no one would steal her from my arms again. I know this is all really silly and everything, but it makes Alex laugh and I love the sound of her laughter, so I always do anything to hear her this happy.

+ + + + +

After the gig we go to a club to celebrate the success of the new song and our last show in Cardiff and we have a great time, but by when we come back, Alex and I are so pumped up that there's no way we can go to sleep, so she comes with me to my room. I thought we were going to stay there, cuddling and snogging as we listen to music, but she surprises me with a very sensitive conversation.

"Niall," she starts. "May I ask you something?"

I'm not sure what she wants to talk about, but if I wanna find out she needs to speak up. "Sure, babe."

"Why me?" At first I don't get what she means, so she has to explain further. "I mean, why did you pick me when you could have any girl?"

I'm really surprised by her question. For me it's the most evident answer, I mean, anyone would fall for a girl like Alex. She is so unique. I keep staring in her eyes, disbelief written all over my face.

"Why wouldn't I pick you?" I ask her instead of answering. "You're funny, a bit crazy, witty, silly sometimes, loyal, fierce, strong, independent, brave, and please don't forget about beautiful," I tell her as I stroke her hair and I see her blushing a little bit.

"But there are more beautiful, cleverer, stronger, funnier girls than me," she insists and I have this urge to roll my eyes. Why can't she see it?

"But they aren't you, with your insecurities, with your smile, your eyes, with that heart of yours, with your story. You're unique, Alex, and probably there're better girls than you, but there're also better lads than me. I could ask you the same thing: why did you pick me?" I try to make her see it from my POV. I know Alex is not perfect and there are greater girls out there, but there's only one Alexia Porter and I just wanna be with her.

"Because you're different. Because you make me feel special, unique, loved. Because you're... because you are you," she replies and her eyes show me she finally understands.

"Exactly. Someone can be prettier than you, but none of them make me feel the way you do. It's something that I can't describe for you, Alex, but you must believe me," I beg of her as I entwine our fingers together. I need her to know that.

"When I met you I never thought I could like someone like you," Alex starts and I don't feel offended because it's true, no one would have pictured us together. "I saw you and the only thing I could see was that we were so different, but I was wrong. We just look different, right?" I only smile as response because that's exactly what I believe. "Belle told me once that maybe you were what I needed because you were nothing like the arseholes I dated before."

"Belle's a wise woman," I concede fighting the chuckles.

"Are you conscious that this is gonna be very difficult?" She adds next and I sigh.

Of course it's gonna be bloody hard. Having a relationship is hard and if we add all the things that I bring up to this relationship... yeah, things are harder than usual.

"I know, with my career nothing is easy anymore. Everything is so public and big," I say, feeling my mood dropping a bit. Sometimes, in moments like this one, I wish I were just a regular guy, so things would be a bit easier.

"I don't want to lose my privacy and I don't want to be famous because we're dating," she tells me and I know this. I know that Alex is with me because of me and not because of who I am. I could never doubt her there.

"I know, that's why we're going to keep it as a secret for as long as we can. To protect you," I tell her because I also don't want the rest to know about us. I want her to be safe.

She leans in and kisses me, softly and tenderly, still this makes me feel alive. However, I deepen the kiss until I can't take it anymore and I need to breathe again.

"We're gonna be fine," I promise pecking her lips one more time.

"What's gonna happen when summer is over and I have to go back to Uni?" She asks and I don't know why she worries so much. Yes, we might not see each other as much, but I'm sure we can make it work. "You will go on more tours away from London and we probably won't see each other and you will meet loads of girls and-"

"Alex," I kiss her, cutting her off in the middle of the rant, seeing where she is coming from with all this. "We still have plenty of summer and we'll figure out when the time comes. Don't worry now, just enjoy what we have," I remind her because it's true. We still have plenty of time and I'm not afraid, I know it's gonna work perfectly and I'm sure she'll agree with me soon. She'll see that we'll be fine when the summer is over.

-:-:-:-

Dedication to @Emilydance

Bel, xx