Chapter Twenty-Three: Of Grey Intentions

Start from the beginning

"I was so worried about you! You just disappeared-- and then, and then..." she drifted for a moment. "Fallon, I'm so sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

My stomach twisted wretchedly. "Don't. Please, I don't want to think about it."

Her eyes were glassy as she hid them from me."So-," she coughed suddenly, pressing her hand to her throat before continuing. "What are you planning for tonight, then?"

"I'm not sure." I hadn't even thought of it. "Maybe I'll train. Lord knows I'll need to now."

She sent me a look of contempt, and said, "Don't think of it that way, Fallon. Maybe you've just over-exhausted yourself lately. It's happened plently of times to supers in history."

"But not in the last century," I said dully.

"It'll be okay, I know it."

She placed her hand on my arm in comfort, but I barely felt it through my tired haze.

"I can't believe it, Raven," I said, closing my eyes. "They're really gone, as in I can't even feel them anymore. There's no fire, no air, no water... I'm just empty."

"It won't last long. You deserve those powers more than anyone; they won't be gone for long."

"I deserve them?" I said incredulously. My blood was pumping dangerously now as my temper suddenly sky-rocketed. "I've really done it this time, haven't I? I've screwed up so much that I don't even have my powers anymore!"

Her mouth dropped open. "Fallon, no, that's not--."

"Yes, it is! Something is wrong with my judgment, I can't think straight anymore. All I do lately is mess up, like with those people in the building."

Raven came up beside me, hesitantly touching my shoulder. "What people?"

“The library. I saw a shadow go through the roof, and I just followed it. I didn’t stay with the rest of the people like I should have,” I said, then paced and continued somewhat heatedly. “They trained me for years, Raven! My parents trained me how to be a good hero my entire life, and lately all I do is mess up. I couldn't even save Jamie! I screwed up again, and I feel like a clock is ticking, waiting for me to do the one thing that ruins us all.”

Her eyes were wide and glossed. "That's not what's happening, Fallon."

"Oh, can't you see? I'm useless, Raven!"

Suddenly a loud voice came from the entrance of the Center, and before I could look, a blur swept into my view, between Raven and me. Bolt's face was contorted in frustration as he spoke.

"What are you talking about, Fallon? Everyone has off days. You're not a broken toy."

I groaned and retorted, "Take this seriously for once, won't you?"

He looked at me as if I were missing something obvious to him. "Don't you understand? This is what they want. The villains want to mess with your head, make you feel like a failure so you become one. You're falling right into their trap, Fallon, get your head back where it belongs."

I lost my mind at his words. My words were hysterical, and borderline delirious. "How dare you talk about this like you know what's going on in my life? You don't know how it feels to lose the one thing that makes you who you are, the one thing that gives you the chance to be good in this world! You don't know what happened in that building, the people that would've lived if hadn't been stupid! You have no idea!"

The temper I knew he had tried to surface, but he kept his cool. "I don't, but you need to calm down. You're losing you head and it's not helping anyone, especially you."

His words only infuriated me more. I scoffed, "Because you would know. Everyone just seems to know everything these days, except me."

"What is wrong with you?" he nearly shouted.

"Is that a joke?" I screamed. "A damn joke? Are you kidding me?"

Suddenly Bolt and Raven's eyes widened, and his hand went to push her back behind him. She gripped his wrist and watched me carefully, and she spoke with an extremely soothing tone. "I know, I'm sorry, Fall. Please calm down, it's okay."

Red was flickering at the edge of my vision, and I clenched my fists tightly. I couldn't take this; they didn't understand.

"Calm down, please, Fallon."

Shaking my head in frustration, I turned and rushed out of the Center, into the dark night. Something about it was strangely luminous, but voices interrupted my thoughts.

"Come back. It's not safe, Fallon."

The metal door suddenly slammed shut, and the heavy bolt clicked into place. Banging sounded through it as something moved behind me, and something was indefintely wrong.

"Fallon, get out of here!"

I couldn't tell who said it. There was a loud roaring in my ears.

"Call for help! Hurry!"

Something was in front of me suddenly, but this time, it wasn't the familiar face of Bolt. A grey figure stood before me, hardly threatening in the least, but I couldn't focus on his face.

The cold voice was what made me recognize the man. "Well, you just can't seem to keep on schedule, can you, Hero?" I heard what sounded like the gritting of teeth. "You're frustrating me to no end, you know that?"

"Why are you here, Pyro?" I cut out, narrowing my eyes.

"Don't ask for answers you can't torture out of me."

The reference of my powers brought a wave of sadness over me. He knew he'd hit me where I couldn't defend.

"Get away from here."

He tisked me inferiorly. "You're alone, you know. They're locked inside, and it's just you and I. If I were you, I wouldn't be making orders."

"Leave this place," I said again.

"If you say so, Hero. But I'll leave you with a parting gift, what do you think?"

Before I could protest, his hands were on my arms, clenching them unbearably.

Everything around me disappeared, slowly inking away into the corners of my vision. The colors danced around my head, leaving my sight until all that remained was the grey of the man in front of me. His grey face, grey hair, grey eyes, grey suit.

And then it was black.

Yes, I know, it's a very short chapter, but it's essential! 

So, Layla is borderline hysterical without her powers. What could've happened to them? Are they really gone? And how does Pyro know about them? It was a very confusing chapter, probably, but the next should begin clearing things up. I hope enjoyed it, and remember to Vote&Comment! Each one means so much for this story, and I appreciate every one of them. 

Also, what is your favorite part of the story so far? I want to get to know my readers a bit :)

-Nicki :)

P.S. This chapter is dedicated to val15809 for their comments and votes on this story! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!