Chapter Three: A Football Game

So here's chapter 3! It's a little longer than I expected, so I hope you enjoy

-Nicki :)

 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Chapter 3: A Football Game

I rushed across campus, already almost fifteen minutes late for my Finance class. After getting home later than usual last night, I'd slept through my alarm and woken up almost forty-five minutes later than I was supposed to; now I was paying for that lack of time and sleep as I jogged in a pair of black leggings and a loose grey off-the-shoulder shirt to Professor Felix's class, almost dropping my books on the way.

I got to the wooden door and tried to sneak in without being noticed, but the professor's eyes snapped to me the second I walked in and he said briskly, "Miss, you are late and disrupting my lecture. Take a seat and don't let it happen again."

I breathed out a slight sigh of relief, I'd thought he'd make me leave the class. Looking up, I took one of the few remaining seats close to the door and set my belongings down under the row, taking out a pad of paper to write notes on. I listened to the lecture for about thirty minutes before I started absentmindedly drawing small pictures on the paper in front of me, only semi-paying attention to the professor as he drawled on. I felt a pen tap my left shoulder and looked up into a pair of bright green eyes that seemed extremely familiar, and realized that this was the guy who'd showed up at my car to get his football yesterday. I sent him a questioning smile, and he pointed his pen at my notepad and mouthed, 'What are you drawing?'.

I smirked at him and mouthed back, 'Wouldn't you like to know'. I glanced back down at my paper and had to do a double-take when I realized what I'd been drawing; a sketch of a man with his hands touching the blank face of a woman was penciled into a corner. I quickly covered it with my arm and looked back at the guy, who now had a smile stretched across his handsome features. I smiled back and turned my attention back to Professor Felix, preparing myself for the remaining hour and a half of his lecture.

----------

After my fourth and final class of the day, I walked into the campus café and grabbed a menu, quickly scanning over it. The food choices were pretty basic, so I went with a classic hamburger with fries. I put the menu back on the counter and looked up at the boy behind the register, who must have been about my age, maybe a year older, and said to him, "I need a hamburger and fries, with a bottle of water."

He very blatantly looked me over and said in a lazy voice, "Is there anything else I can get you, beautiful?"

I shook my head and shot him a very fake smile, to which he gave me a cocky smirk that annoyed me as he turned to grab my food from the back room. He returned seconds later and scribbled something on a napkin and put it beside my hamburger. With a slight grimace I took my food and walked away towards a table that was near a window and sat down, beginning to eat my food as quickly as I could without looking like a slob. As I was eating I tried to remember what I'd learned in my lectures, but all I could recall was feeling tired and zoning out. I really had to figure out a way to balance my day and night lives; I couldn't be falling asleep on the job or during a test. I soon as I finished I threw away my paper plate and the napkin with the creep's number on it and grabbed my purse and books to walk out the door of the café. I welcomed the fresh air of the yard and continued toward my car when I heard someone call out my name.

"Layla!"

I almost dropped my books as a huge smile came over my face, and I turned and started running toward my favorite cousin, Jack. We'd always been close, because even though he didn't like to use his powers (and nobody except for me even knew he had them) he would still support and help me with mine. He was the only person beside my parents who knew I was Fallon, and I knew he'd never tell my secret.