Chapter Five: Tracking Device

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Chapter Five: Tracking Device

I walked through the large doors of Dorm 4, the co-ed dorm Jamie lived in on campus, and toward the left wall to the elevator. A few seconds after pressing the button, the doors opened and I walked in and pushed the key for the fourth floor, and the doors closed and the elevator jerked upward.

When the doors opened, I walked out and turned left to room 126, knocking on Jamie's door. 

"Coming!" I heard her call through the door, and soon she threw the door open and looked me over once, before bursting into laughter.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked her in confusion as I brought my hand up to my cheek.

She composed herself and said with a smile, "No, Lay, we match." 

I looked down and smiled. We were both wearing similar sheer shirts over a camisole and black skinny jeans, with black ankle boots and leather jackets. The only difference was that my shirt was dark red while hers was light pink, and she sported a a black beanie on her light brown hair. I laughed and said, "Well, great minds think alike."

She giggled, "That they do. So what do you want to do today? There are a few movies playing in town, or we could stay here and watch the football team practice."

I laughed, "Don't you have a boyfriend?"

"Yeah, Chance is on the football team, so it won't be that bad," she grinned. 

I shook my head, smiling, "Come on, let's go eat at the Campus Cafe first, I'm starving."

"Let me grab my bag, give me a sec."

I waited for her, absentmindedly reaching my hand up to gently touch the back of my head where the large bump from last night was. It was still sore to the touch, and I hissed in pain, but quickly smiled when Jamie walked back out and locked her door. "Alright let's go."

We took the elevator down to the first floor and then walked to the cafe a few buildings away. I picked up a menu and said, "You'd think that college would have better food than high school did. All I see are hamburgers and hotdogs and fried food."

"I know, but at least they have a garden salad," Jamie said as she turned to the girl behind the register. "I'll have a fried chicken sandwich and a bottled water, what do you want, Layla?"

"The same, I'll go find a table," I handed her a ten dollar bill for lunch and walked over to a table, sitting down and looking out the window into the already darkening sky.  As I gazed over the main yard, I saw a young man walking through the shadows under the oak trees, and I squinted to get a better look at him.  He had one of his hands in his jacket and was heading towards a group of girls, bumping into a petite blonde and placing his hand on her back for a few seconds too long, and then walked off back the way he came.

I stood up and walked over to Jamie, "Hey, I'll be right back. I saw someone I know."

She muttered an okay, and I walked out the glass doors and across the yard towards the girl. As I got close to her I heard her talking to her friends, I realized that I actually did know her. "Hey, Rachel, I haven't seen you since the summer."

"Layla? Wow, it's been a while," she said with a friendly smile and came over and hugged me. When I wrapped my arms around her, I felt something buried in her hair.

"Rach, there's something in your hair," I told her, and she turned around for me to pull it out.

"What is that?" she asked as she and her friends looked at the small grey device in my hand.