Chapter Twenty-Three: Of Grey Intentions

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter Twenty-Three: Of Grey Intentions

 "No, no, no! It's not working!" 

My screams were terrified and horrific. Doors slammed open, a glass was dropped and shattered; suited people rushed in, defensive stances all around me. I crumpled to my knees. My hands hovered and shook before my face. I slammed my fists onto the ground, cracking the cement with sheer anger.

My mother stood over me in horror, her mouth agape with her hand covering it below her red mask. The supers' eyes mirrored the same shock and fear as they searched the room, and my father's authority rained on everyone's ears.

Except mine.

All I could do was stare at my palms in desperation, panicked adrenaline pulsing through my body. Something was wrong with me; it wasn't working.

"Fallon, what? What's wrong?"

I couldn't answer my mother's questions. I didn't know what was happening.

"Dammit, answer me!"

My mother never swore. This couldn't be real.

"Answer me--."

"They're gone."

My voice was broken, and nonexistent. Yet somehow, no one in the room missed a single syllable.

Twistair's figure froze. Not a sound touched the room; no one breathed.

I stood and ran.

-------------------

I didn't know where I was. To everyone else, I had gone. 

Just as my powers had.

I was miles from Willow Hills-- that much I knew. The land here was flat and dry; it didn't offer much warmth and comfort. It felt like I did.

I wanted to set this dry, grass-less field on fire. I wanted to see the flames rise, and when it became too much, I wanted to suffocate the fire, drown it in pouring water. But I couldn't. Not anymore.

I let out a furious scream and clenched my fists. There was nothing here for me to take out my anger on. It was bottled up inside me, and I knew that as soon as I stopped to think, emptiness would replace it. My powers were a part of me, and now they were gone. I felt... lonely. I didn't know what to do with myself now. My tensed, tired legs led me in a direction I believed was north, but I couldn't be sure; it was still dark out, and dawn wasn't here enough to guide me through the area. I would've held a flame to see. But I couldn't.

Hours later the lights of my city came into view. It looked like such a perfect picture, but I couldn't really enjoy the beauty of it as I moved through the forests that lined the limits of Willow Hills. I had lost all ability to shed tears, and now that dreaded emptiness was beginning to set in. 

I made it to the entrance of the Center, but I truly didn't recall how I'd gotten there. I couldn't remember opening the door and ending up in the training room against the wall, twirling a dagger around in my palm. At least my skills were something I hadn't lost.

The sharp tip suddenly shot into the frozen target across the room, perfectly spearing its point. I tried to swallow with a dry throat, but nothing changed; I just sat there, in the deserted Center, for an undetermined amount of time.

I hadn't fallen asleep the entire day, it seemed, because what could've been a blink later brought Raven walking through the door. She was the first to arrive tonight, and the look on her face when she noticed me was perfectly picturesque. The beaming smile of relief that flashed across her features as she ran to me brought a small tilt to my lips as she embraced me, spitting out endless phrases that I could barely catch.