Chapter 22 Fire!

Screaming! The room was full of orange light. Sulfur and rotting roses. Before I knew it, I was at the door struggling with the handle which moved but would not open. I couldn't get out. Oh God. I hammered and shouted at the door. Just outside the window, something screamed with cackling laughter.

"Help," I screamed, but my voice was drowned by more laughter and a cacophony of screaming. Something exploded and the whole room shook.

Suddenly the door shuddered and was flung open.

Parrus seized me in his arms and dragged me out.

We ran down the inn hallway. Orange light was streaming in the windows as both ends and yet we stumbled in the suffocating darkness within. Yellow and orange flames were leaping through the door below as we stumbled down the stairs. A figure loomed out of the darkness.

"Here, give her to me," said Garthan.

"Have you got the key? We've got to get her free. We need her. Where's Dommie? He went for the key."

"Go find him. He was heading for the stables."

"What?"

"Go damn you. I'll take care of her."

In the flickering light I could see doubt on Parrus face. I clung to him.

"Don't leave me Parrus."

More screaming came from outside. Another explosion rocked the building, flinging grit and cinders everywhere. I looked up and saw Garthan aiming a blow at Parrus head.

I screamed and threw myself at Garthan, iron weighted hands swinging, and he staggered under my heavy weight. I struggled with him, hitting at him with my manacled fists. Then Parrus was on him. Garthan let go so suddenly that I fell. He turned and was gone, running.

"What in Tansa's name..?"

The air was suffocating with smoke and the smell of demons. Fire roared ,searing through the open door. A figure came running. Not Garthan

"I've got it," shouted someone. "Come on, back here."

Two pairs of hands seized me and began bundling me towards the back of the inn.

A door slammed shut behind us. The tiles were hot under my bare feet. The room was dark. "Down here," said the other one, pushing me under what seemed to be a bench. "Here. Oh seven, I can't see. Make a light, Parrus.

I never even thought to tell them not to.

Blue magelight sprung up in Parrus hand. In it I could see the man shoving a key into the lock of my hand manacles. I ripped them off as he opened them.

An ear shattering scream of laughter rang out and the wall of the room burst open in an explosion of fire. Suddenly I was lying on the floor under the two mages, a small cocoon of crystal pure air while all around us a hot orange inferno of fire streamed past.

Crushed against the floor, I saw that Dommie had dropped the key. I reached out for it and got it, just as the fire went out leaving us all in blinding blackness. The mages above me groaned and moved. They would have used up a lot of power.

"The key," croaked Dommie hoarsely.

"I've got it," I worked my fingers round the neck manacle until I found the key hole.

"Oh shit," screamed Dommie.

I was crushed against the floor as anther inferno of flame swept over us.

Holding as much of the key as I could, I slid it into the hole. The flame moved in a huge jet around the room setting the wall, the ceiling and the benches alight. The heat was searing. There was another burst of cackling laughter, as though a group of Fire Angels were standing outside. I felt the lock give, pulled off the manacles, was free.