Chapter 13 Part 1

The Council of State met in the mornings. There were currently 12 members. As well as Lord Sercel and Ren Daniel and myself, there were a couple of Morian noblemen, some Gallian noblemen, a Gallian cardinal and two Gallian mages, one of whom was my old school friend Garthan Redona. The Duke of Tanza, who was Duke Leon's war leader, was also a member although he did not always attend. I was surprised not to see Blanche Shomnee there, but Ren Daniel told me she had chosen to be represented by her negotiator when he came up from the South.

It was even more boring than I had feared. The issue of the South was not even raised and the necromancer at Sanctuary was never mentioned. It was almost as if he didn't exist. Mindful of Lord Sercel's words and unsure who else knew of such things, I did not bring the subject up.

The meetings were a series of extended debates on such stimulating topics as the Morian constitution, supply of the army, legal responsibility for war damages, repair to the walls of Glassybri and endless discussions about which petitions should be brought to the attention of the Duke. The councilors argued endlessly over the meanings of single words and the procurement of insignificant supplies like baskets of carrots. To think I had thought that being on the council would allow me to make some difference to the passage of affairs. I had nothing to say in any of these debates and sometimes had to pinch myself to stop from drifting off the sleep as this sludge of detail washed over me.

Lord Mateo Uttrello, who was leader of the Council, seemed to have an enormous interest in ladies. At least he frequently mentioned them. Almost everyday he said at least three times that he was glad Lady Blanche was going to let herself be represented on the council by someone else as was the proper behavior for a lady. I was so unused to thinking of myself as one of these elevated creatures that it took me two days to realize that these remarks were directed at me. Then I was very angry and lay awake a couple of nights seething about his nastiness. What had I ever done to him that he should make these remarks? I had been extremely well behaved on the council. In fact I had hardly opened my mouth.

After two days of seething, I was angry enough to retort.

"It's a pity I'm not a lady. I would like to have some underling bear my responsibilities. Unfortunately I am a mage and the daughter of an inn servant, so the term lady does not apply to me."

I had not actually intended to speak my anger aloud and everyone, including me, was shocked into silence by my retort. Lord Sercel put his face in his hands.

Lord Uttrello puffed himself up till he looked like he was going to explode. He jumped out of his chair, smacked the table and shouted,

"Women are too emotional. The Council of State is no place for them."

"Why?" said Ren Daniel suddenly. "The Duke has seen fit that Enna Dion sit with us. Surely you are not putting your judgment above his."

"I'm sure he would be very distressed to hear that you were, Lord Uttrello," purred Lord Sercel.

"Sweet Tansa release us all," cried Lord Uttrello, shaking his fist at the sky with the air of a man at the end of his tether. Then he sat down, shuffled the papers before him for a moment or two, cleared his throat and proceeded to talk on the issue of forage for the cavalry as if nothing had happened.

I felt like bursting into tears and running away, but I was not going to let that nasty man push me out of the meeting. When I regained the courage to look up from my lap, Ren Daniel caught my eye and winked and Lord Sercel nodded kindly. Later as we left the chamber, Ren Daniel caught up with me.

"Enna Dion that was bravely spoken," he said.

"Was it? I thought I had simply been foolish," I said.