Chapter 25: The Baby

Hello! Sorry this chapter is a little on the short side, but I didn't want to group too many events together so... :) Thank you all so much for your support and love for this story, it's my baby and I'm so excited and sad that it's coming to a close. Don't get your knickers in a twist though...there are still a feew chapters left! :)

Enjoy! Please COMMENT and VOTE! <3

Chapter 25

"No Nate, I can't."
Shock waves radiate over his face in slow motion.
"But...Zoe..." he stutters.
I'm on the verge of tears. "I can't just yet, Nate. I might someday, but right now...oh Nate the wound's gotta heal first. I'm so sorry."
"But...you're leaving..."
"The timing is unfortunate, but in the end, things will work out the way they should," I say softly. "I've got to go."
He stands up when I do.
"Can I at least kiss you...one last time?"
I nod slightly, worried my heart will give in and take him back. My brain fights, no no no. His lips come down on mine, soft, gentle, mournful. It's beautiful. He pulls back slightly, and I rush away, not looking behind me. As soon as I get in my car, I break down crying. What have I done?
I get home, and look around my apartment. Three weeks remain here, and it's mostly filled with work. Picking up some boxes, I pack. And pack. And pack. While I methodically fill boxes of nicknacks and other items I won't need, I wonder about my future. Six months ago, I was positive it would include Nathan. Three months ago, I was still hoping it would include Nathan. Three weeks ago, I was no more sure than I am today.

****************

Nathan's P.O.V.

"Dad," I growl as I walk in the door to his office. He looks surprised to see me.
"Weren't you suppose to be having coffee with Zoe?" he asks.
"Yes. I was. I laid all my cards down. She still refused," I say, frustrated. "What else can I possibly do?"
Calmly and simply, he responds, "You're a Marine. Fight."

****************

Zoe's P.O.V.

Nathan's excited yet worried voice over the phone tells me the news we've know was coming for months. Nine months, to be exact. Emma's in labor.
"Where is she?"
"McBride Regional Hospital, they say it could be any time. I'm on my way now."
"Ok, I'll leave as soon as I can. Thank for letting me know, bab-Nate," I quickly catch myself from falling into old habits. I hope he's too distracted to notice.
I hurry to get ready, finding the little present I have stashed away, hoping I didn't accidently pack it.
I get to the hospital in twenty minutes.
"I'm here for Emma Reagan?" I tell the receptionist.
"Oh yes, she's in labor now, but not in the delivery room. If you would like to sit and wait, you're welcome to."
I nod, and text Nate letting him know I'm here. In a few minutes he comes out.
"Hey there," he says, looking very jittery.
"Hi. Thanks for letting me know."
"Oh, no problem. We're just waiting right now. Mom and Dad and Alex are in there. All the others are at school. Summer break starts tomorrow."
"Oh, ok," I respond, realizing there's no one to break up the ackwardness between Nate and I.
An uncomfortable silence sits in the air, and I shift in my seat, focusing on not staring at my former boyfriend. It's hard. He's too attractive. We just sit there, waiting. Nate pulls out his phone, and I flip through a magazine. After about thirty minutes, John comes out.
"Hello there Zoe. Thanks for coming," he says, giving me a weary smile.
"Hi John," I respond.
"Emma's contractions are closer, they say it will be any minute now."
Nathan nods, and I smile slightly. We seperate to our own worlds, none of us knowing what to say, even the well-spoken Mr Serther. Oh God, pleas help me get through this silence.
After what seems like hours of endless silence, Marcie comes barreling through the door.
"Just arrived!" she says breathlessly. "Girl, six pounds three ounces beautiful and healthy. We have to wait a few minutes before you can go see her."
We all breath a sigh of relief. Smiles spread over our faces. Babies are such miracles.
I phone to the Serther house while Nate and John go in to visit, telling them the news. Marcie's too high strung right now. I hear cheers over the phone. Is this what it would of been like if it were Nate's and my baby?
Nate comes out to get me.
"How are they?"
"Emma exhausted, Alex looks like he's about to burst with joy, and the little one is very pink and wrinkley."
We walk down the hall to Emma's room. A cry comes from it, a distincive baby cry. I giggle, amd look up to see Nathan smiling too. Our eyes meet, and emotions pass through them. I can tell he's imagining if this were us, too. I look away, flustered, and walk in the room.
"Emma?"
"Oh Zoe I'm so glad you're here! Thank you!"
"Oh my pleasure Em! How's the mamma doin'?"
"A little tired but I've never been happier. Do you want to meet her?"
"Yes please!"
Out of the corner of my eye, I see Nathan leaning against the door frame, watching us. I push him out of my mind, though. This is a happy time.
"This is Chloe," Alex says, walking in with a white bundle nestled in his arms.
"Aw, hi Chloe!" I whisper, looking down at her beautiful pink face framed with whisps of light blond hair just like her parents'.
"Would you like to hold her?"
I nod. He places her gentley in my outstretched arms, and I begin to rock lightly back and forth.
"Aw, honey, she's a natural!" Emma says to Alex, "Take a picture!"
Little Chloe opens her eyes and stares up at me. Her chubby cheeks and little fingers are too cute!
I feel eyes on me, I know it's Nathan. He walks over, and Emma quickly says,
"Get Nate in it too babe, he is the godfather after all."
I shoot a murderous look at her, she just smiles back at me, well aware of the matchmaking she's trying to do.
"Say cheese, everyone!"
Nathan's hand tentatively rests on the small of my back, leaning in to smile. I feel his breath on my neck, and I shiver. My self control is barely holding on with his closeness. Thankfully, he shifts away quickly after the picture is taken. I hand Chloe over to Nate, and he carefully takes her, looking like a natural. He looks up from her sweet little face, and our eyes meet again. My heart lurches. Zoe, it's time to get over him! I look away, and walk over to Emma, giving her a hug.
"Thank you for letting me in to see you and your darling,"
"Oh, you don't have to say that about me, Zoe," Alex interrupts, and we laugh.
"...darling little girl," I continue with a smile. "You too, Alex. Congratulations."
"Thank you for coming to visit! Do you really have to leave?"
"Yes, I have, um, some final packing to do. Only a week left, you know!" I say, trying to sound cheery about this news.
Everyone seems to shift uncomfortably in the room.
"Well, congratulations again!" I say, giving Emma and Alex one last hug, and kissing Chloe on the cheek.
"Bye, Nathan," I add as an afterthought.
"Bye, Zoe," he responds, barely audible.
When I get home, I flop on the couch, surrounded by boxes, wondering about the future yet again. Am I doing the right thing?

Nathan's P.O.V.

The house is quiet, everyone has gone to visit Emma and Chloe. I'm sitting, alone, thinking about Zoe. Thinking about what my father said to do. Fight for her.
She looked so beautiful, so peaceful, standing there holding Chloe. Like she was meant to do it. That could of been our child. God, she would be a great mother. Our kids would look just like her. Light brown hair, with green eyes. Definately green eyes. I love those eyes.
Fight for her. How? Do I try to win back Zoe's trust and love before she leaves? Should I even allow her to leave? It's her own life, she should do what she wants. I just wish Zoe wanted me.

Yay! Emma had her baby :) I adore the name Chloe for little girls...it's just so sweet and innocent! Please let me know what you think-I love feedback! :)

Also, if ya would check out my new story, "The Way He Planned It" (I promise to update very soon), I would seriously appreciate it. THANK YOUUUU!

Hey! Who should I dedicate this chapter to? <3 Thank you @VictoriaAlmond for following me! It means a lot, dah-ling.

Please COMMENT and VOTE!