Free

Free

I want to be free but what does that word even mean?

Is it different for everyone?

Or is it the one word we as people can agree on?

Is being free like the birds in the sky with nothing but the light blue stretch of unknown to lead you?

Or are birds caged and we just can’t see it?

After all they have to repeat the same cycle year after year to survive.

Fly south for the winter fly north for the summer. They fly away from predators and have no defense

So are they really free?

                I want to be free.

I don’t want to be shackled down, to the ideas and morals of the human race, who are they to tell me who I can and can’t be. Who are they to try and mold me into what they want and what they desire?

                I want to be free.

Free like our nation claims to be, but are they free?

Are they free from the judgmental glances from people who tell themselves they are so much better than everyone else.

Are they free from poverty?

Are they free from hunger?

Are they free from racism?

Are they free from sexism?

Are they free to love who they want?

Are they free from the hatred of each other?

And until these things no longer happen the people of our nation will never be free. I want to be free but I can’t.

I’m only 16, but age is just a number. A number that hold us down. How many times have you heard your too young or how about act your age? I want to be free but how can I when I have all these things holding me down? I’m a girl so in society’s eyes I’m not as good as any guy no matter how hard I try to prove them different. I’m young only 16 not a child yet not yet and adult. I need to grow up, act my age and stay young forever. It’s not your life so let me live it. Someday I might break the bonds society has place on me, I might finally be free.

Or maybe that will never happen maybe I will be stuck in the same place forever.

Or maybe I will be stronger than anyone thought I would be.

After all you don’t know me you don’t know my life.

And I’m not going to waste my time telling you.

                I want to be free

That’s all you need to know. I won’t give you more information so you can use it against me to hold me down by giving you the ammunition of my past.

After all knowledge is power, and power if used incorrectly shackles others down.

You don’t need to know my past to know my future.

                I want to be free

Not held down by people who think they are better than me. What happened to all men created equal? Last time I checked it was woMAN. What about me makes me below you? What makes you better than me?

Is it your hair?

Your money?

Your clothes?

 Your voice?

I don’t get it.

                I want to be free

But I can’t because every time I turn around there is something new to tell me no and I can’t. The next generation won’t be able to do anything because they won’t’ know how to break rules and push boundaries. We are taught to be seen not heard but then you contradict it and tell us to stand our ground and follow our heart

                I want to be free

Maybe freedom doesn’t exist.

Its something everyone claims to have but we never really do. We claim to be free, we say no one holds us down but if this was true we wouldn’t feel the need to say that we are free and not held down by the rules and regulations of those around us who form the society we later will become.

                I want’ to be free.

But I’m beginning to think that’s an impossible dream, maybe in the sense I’m looking for freedom doesn’t exist. But I will be free

Someday

Somehow

I will break away and leave the accusing stares and harsh words of people who have known me all my life.

                I will be free

                Free to be me

                Free to be who I am

I guess that’s all the freedom I can ask for.