Us Against The World

CHAPTER 9

Two years ago...

"Come on man." I said to my bestfriend, Jake, pleading.

"No. I don't drink," he paused, "And we are only 15."

"What does it matter?" I growled, "Live a little, let loose." I handed him the beer in my hand, he looked at it, thinking if he should take it, finally, he did. Sitting back down in the chair, I started drinking out of my bottle till it was all gone. I opened the cooler and took out another one.

On and on, we drank every last beer there was still we were so drunk we couldn't think. We got up and packed the stuff into the car. Surprisingly, we were smart enough to know not to drive so we started walking.

"I know this is about your mom." Jake said.

"What do you mean?" I raised my voice.

"She left you, man. You've been fucked up ever since she left, and I know this is the way you let it go." He was right. My mother left my dad and I a couple months ago, and since then I drink, drink till nothing in the world can hurt me.

"The tunnel is coming up." I said, changing the subject. He cheered. The tunnel is always the best part of the way home.

Seeing the lights flickering in the tunnel, I thought of all the lonely, sleepless nights since my mom left. I stuck my hands in my pockets. We reached the tunnel, and I sighed when her face came into my mind.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset."

"It's fine."

He nudged me, "Ok. Don't be such a baby though." He laughed. I pushed him of the sidewalk, and put my fist up in the air, shaking it. He ran backwards chuckling.

He put his hands in the air, "I surrender." By then he was in the middle of the road, being to drunk to care. Down the road, lights came our way, fast.

"Jake! Get off the road!" All he did is laugh, thinking I was joking. I attempted to go push him out of the road, but it was already to late.The sound of the car hitting him came to ear. "No!" I ran to the street to his body.

There was blood everywhere, I started shaking him, yelling for him to wake up. but nothing happened. He's dead.

Present day...

"He was killed on impact." I cried out. I wasn't embarrassed that I was crying in front of her, at that moment I didn't care about anything. I felt her arms wrap around my waist. I took her in, nuzzling my head into her neck, crying even harder.

"Shhhh" She cooed. My cries became into loud breathing, then sniffling.

"It's all my fault." She rubbed the back of my head.

"It's not. He didn't know what he was doing, and the driver wasn't paying attention." I was to numb to answer, but she was wrong, so wrong. I live with guilt everyday, it's my fault he was to drunk to see the car coming. It was all me. She let go then.

"Let's go watch the sunset." She smiled and started walking to the car.

Sitting knees to my chest, I thought of that day. The sirens coming down the street, already echoing in the tunnel. I felt Skylar lean on me. "I've always loved watching the sunset. It reminds me that tomorrow is a new day, that life goes on, and things will get better."

"I need to tell you something." I turned my body towards hers and took her hands.

"What is it?"

I stared into her eyes, "Ever since I met you, ever since we started to hangout, you've made my pain, all my guilt die down. You have helped me so much more than you realize. I don't know what I would do without you.

"You are so beautiful, you should know that, and it pains me to see you so sad. I can't say everything is going to be alright as of right now, but I know it will be someday. I also know that you can get through this, you are a strong girl, Sky. It may be hard right now, but I will always be here for you, to talk to, or to be with. Now you know that I really do understand, I know what you're going through." I don't know why, but that was one of the hardest things to say, probably because I was afraid of the answer.

She inhaled, and smiled. She brought her face so close to where our lips were almost touching.

"Thank you." She whipsered, her hot air tickling my lips. She put her hands behind my head, and kissed me.

I finally knew what Harry Potter felt like when he kissed Cho.

"Wet. I mean.. she was sort of crying."

***************

A/N

Yes. I did put something from Harry Potter in there. :D I love those movies. I actually watch a full marathon with my sister not so long ago.

Like, Comment, Share :)

The one who cannot be named,

-Josie