32: Her Man

Four months had past. 

They are staying in Andre's house with Andre's family somewhere in, Manapla. His house is simple and their lives are simple. Alden and Maine loved it there. With whatever money they had left, they bought a little place by the market area near the catholic church where there's a high school. It was a former internet cafe. The owners left to migrate to California and Andre made contact with the owners who used to be Andre's high school classmate. They started up a little snack house. Andre's wife was so happy that now she is busy because she's helping Maine and Alden with their small business. It's their third week on business.

This town is simple yet you'll see happy faces everyday. Even when some of this people are going through tough time in life, they manage to somehow make it work. They somehow manage to let out a smile. A little where everybody knows everybody. Just like other town there's also a little thing called gossip, and since you're new in this town, you are a target of their curious looks. Don't get me wrong, you want a place to stay to feel like you want to belong? This is the town you want to be on your map. There's nothing much in this town but you'll have people that will take care of you.

Monday. School day. By The Corner Cafe. 

"Dennis, will you pass me the little plates that are on the counter. I need that here in the front. Mars, when is Andre coming back from Bacolod?" Anna loudly asked across the cafe.

"Well, he called last night and said that he will be here before dinner. Oh, he is also going to talk to both of you tonight. Something about someone was asking around about Alden and Maine. You two need to be careful?" Marissa replied and whispered the last part shaking her head and grabbing the towel off  the table.

"Mai----" He stopped as he saw Marissa standing in front of him staring at him with those questioning eyes.

"Dennis? Are you looking for someone?" Marissa asked him emphasizing his name. She glaring at him

"Den, what is it?" Maine asked. She knows that she's the one Alden is calling out for. 

It's been months but she knows that he's still having a hard time remembering the names they use in this town, if he's having a hard time calling her by that name in Bacolod, it's more here. Manapla is a small town, like every small town, I'm going to say it again, everybody knows everybody. They are just being cautious.

"Den, you need to be very careful whenever you call her. People here maybe friendly but they can also be so nosy at times. I know it's not easy Den, but you have to do it. Even at the house you guys need to be careful calling each other's name especially when the kids are home." She said tapping Alden on the shoulder.

"Sorry. I'm sorry, Mai-- I mean, Anna." He just dropped his shoulder and shook his head. He could never get use to it.

"Den, it's okay." Maine caress his cheek and smiled at him.

"You know how much I love your name and every time I call you Anna, it feels like I'm cheating on you." He said staring at Maine intently and lovingly. Maine sighed at the sight of his eyes, he's dark brown eyes, the eyes where she always could get lost in. She hugged him.

"Den, I know you're not. Anna is still me. Maine and Anna are one and you know that. We stuck it out here for four months without a problem, let's keep it that way. Okay, Den?  I love you, Den-Den." She continue hugging him and he hugged her back, and kissed her on the side of her head.

"It's  easy for you to say." And he chuckled and gave her a nudge her on the hip with his hip.

"Okay. Okay. Let us get ready. The high schoolers are coming out for their recess and you know those kids loves to play dota and clash of clans." Marissa smiled at them. "Oh, God. You two are so cute. Let's keep moving. Oh Den, Andre is coming home before dinner tonight." Marissa said and went straight to the kitchen with Maine. Alden sit by the counter for cashing.