18: What To Do

(Maine)

I got to my boss' subdivision. I pulled into her driveway where she's already waiting for me. She have a very nice, cozy place. 2-story house, 4 bedrooms, 2-bath actually 3. The guest bedroom have it's own bathroom. There are different kinds of flowers surrounding her yard. Vegetable and herb plots in the backyard. A little covered patio in the back that has chairs and table and a barbecue pit on the side. It has a little nook on the side that looks like a mini bar.  Her husband is always out of country. She use to teach in one of the university in Bacolod. For what I've heard, her students love her and most of them found a very good job after they graduate. 

See! This is what I'm talking about. I may have interned in the US and  most of them didn't but still, they land a good job. If maybe my family didn't have money I won't have a business. Times like this really makes me feel so depressed. My life is not complicated but why do I act like it's the end of the world? 

Maybe Tony was right when he left me and married his wife, I have everything handed to me and I can't handle a little obstacle. Well, if being arranged to whom ever my father thought of is not an obstacle, then maybe I am just taking thing out of proportion. Then, maybe falling in love with a possible candidate like "him" is no big deal after all. If it is not a big deal, why am I hurting so bad? Why am I missing hing him so much? Why am I longing for his hugs?  Too many why's and no answer. Maybe running away is the best solution then. 

"Are you okay, Anna?" She asked breaking me off of my trance. I looked at her and see that loving smile on her face. It made me miss my mom more.

"I'm okay, Ms Monique."  I said, then smiled back at her.

"Okay, I will call you by your real name okay?" She said wrapping one  of her arm around my shoulder as she guide me inside her home. "Maine, you are not okay, I can tell. Your words may sound like it but not your eyes. You eyes delivers so many sad and confusing emotions and none of them says happy, not even a little. I don't meddle with you because we haven't known each other for so long, but you have to find someone to tell what's in there." She pointed her forefinger on my chest where my heart is. I know what she meant.

"I'm okay, Ms Monique." I said.

"Call me, Tita Monique." She said cutting me off a bit.

"Okay, Tita Monique. I spoke to my brother today before I came here. He told me that my dad is upset. I understand why he's upset. I left without saying goodbye and on top of that I didn't tell anyone where I am going." I said looking down on the floor.

"Well, that's understandable. My question still remains, why did you leave? Maine, forget the baking, I think it's about time you tell me the story." She said lovingly.

We went to the backyard and sat down under the covered patio. She ask her house help for an orange juice and some cookies. As we sat down she pulled another chair to put her legs up and she had me pulled another one to do the same.

"Ok, Meng. Is it okay if I call you Meng?" She ask and i nod.

"It's okay, Tita. That's what my family calls me from time to time." I replied.

"Meng, I know there's more to your story than you lead on. It's not a bad thing to hide it from anyone, it is bad when it is affecting you and it shows in your eyes. Other people may not see it but I do. You are not just an employee to me, I don't consider anybody that who works here as my employee, they are all my family including my taxi drivers and that makes you a family, too. You are the newest of all but you are the closest to me. I see me in you in some ways when I was your age." She said. I took a  deep breath and stared at her. This is it, Maine. She's right, you need someone to talked to.  You need to vent out and this is your chance.