Chapter 31

The guard's eyes were closed and his arms crossed over his chest, but I knew he'd hear me if I tried to walk past, so I stood in the doorway, hiding most of my body from view as I waved frantically. I hoped someone would see me, but unfortunately, everyone either had their heads down or were facing away. I frowned and tried to find another way of getting their attention.

I didn't want to risk getting caught, but it looked like my only option was to make noise. I picked up a loose stone from the ground and held it in my hand. Deciding it was heavy enough, I tossed it into the room.

The soldier stood up, hand on his sword. "Who's there?" he asked in a growl. Quick reflexes.

I ducked down and hid around the wall as he stepped out into the stairwell. The shadows hid me as he looked around. After seeing nothing he frowned and grumbled lowly. He walked back into the dungeon and sat down again. 

I peeked in and saw that Mouse was staring at the door, nose twitching as if he knew something. I felt hope rise in me and waved frantically again. Upon seeing me, his eyes widened and he grabbed March's arm. When he pointed towards me, March too looked surprised. They exchanged looks before March reached through the bars of their cell to nudge Rab.

He frowned at them as they pointed across the room. I prayed the guard didn't see them; they weren't being very subtle. When Rab caught sight of me, however, he stood up, opening his mouth as if to say something. Immediately, I shook my head, pointing towards the resting soldier. He snapped his mouth closed. 

By this time the twins had noticed the commotion and their eyes glittered brightly. I waved at them with a smile. However, Cheshire still had his back to me, having turned away when the guard stood up. I pointed at him and the twins glanced over. They crawled to his cell and tapped on the bars. "Cheshire...!" hey hissed.

He ignored them. They went to call again, but the soldier stood up and stormed over to their cell. "Shut up!" he snapped.

They frowned at him as he threatened to beat them "again". As he started walking back and forth around the room, they turned their attention back to Cheshire. But no matter what they did he just pretended not to hear them. 

Finally, Dee, out of desperation, grabbed a rock and threw it at him. It hit him squarely in the side of the head. Cheshire shot them a glare and they took the chance to point towards my direction. He looked annoyed, but turned anyway. As soon as his eyes met mine all frustration disappeared from his face and he stared at me. His eyes showed so many emotions at once I couldn't describe any of them, but somehow, I knew exactly what each one was.

I felt the tears returned and I smiled lightly, lifting my hand in a small wave. Cheshire looked ready to cry as well, but he managed to pull his gaze away as Rab tried calling the guard over. "Hey! I need to go to the bathroom?" he said.

The guard glared at him. "Deal with it," he shot back.

Rab sighed. "If I end up going on the floor, it'll smell. Then you'll have to deal with that while you guard us," he threatened.

The guard looked annoyed, but seemed not to want to risk having to deal with the smell and walked over to Rab's cell. As he started unlocking the door, Rab grabbed his hands and slammed him against the cell bars. The guard was stunned and stumbled back. Quickly, I grabbed a bottle from a nearby table and smashed it over his head. With a hoarse sound, he collapsed on the ground.

I grabbed his keys and unlocked Rab's cell. He took a couple of keys while I helped get some of the others out. Once everyone was free, I turned to Chesh who was just stepping out of his cell. I wanted to run to him, fling my arms around his neck and hug him tight, but I could only stand and stare at him. He stared right back. Then he started walking towards me. I expected a hug or a kiss or at least a grasp of the shoulders, but all I felt was his hands shoving me back violently. I stumbled back, bumping into Rab who stood behind me. 

"Chesh." He started to scold Cheshire, but I stopped him when I saw the look on Cheshire's face. His eyes were moist and he looked like he was trying hard not to break down right there.

"Why did you let go?" he asked. Just then he drew me into his chest. "I thought you were gone forever...!"

I slowly brought my arms up to hug him tightly, tears streaming down my own cheeks. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you..." I said.

He hugged me so tight I thought I might pass out from lack of oxygen. "You disappeared and I didn't think you were coming back..." he told me. "Where were you for so long?"

I pulled away and planted a kiss on his dry lips. "I'm sorry, okay?" I said. "I didn't mean to be gone so long."

His expression showed he just wanted to break down and cry. I hugged him again and he ran his hands through my hair, cradling me to him desperately. "God," he whispered.

I'd have hugged him for an eternity if Rab hadn't suddenly cleared his throat insistently. "I know you guys were worried about each other and all, but we really should get going," he said.

Cheshire and I pulled away from each other's arms quickly, blushing and looking away in embarrassment. "Right..." I said.

Rab assembled everyone as we made a quick plan. "The queen is planning an execution," I said.

"Then she'll be in her bedroom for a while. That gives us a chance to fight off any interfering soldiers and surround her," Rab replied. "March, Mouse, twins? Left wing. Chesh, Alice, and I will take the right. Is everyone clear?"

We all nodded and started heading up the stairs. I watched each one hurry up the stairwell one-by-one until it was only Cheshire and I left. I went to follow them when Chesh grabbed my hand and pulled me back, pressing his lips to mine passionately. I knew we had to hurry, but I indulged myself slightly as I ran my fingers through his dark, silver locks. I didn't know how much I'd been missing his touch until then. I couldn't have been happier to have it back.

When we finally pulled away, Cheshire pulled his forehead to mine. "Never disappear again," he said softly.

"I won't," I promised.

"Don't scare me like that either," he said.

"I won't," I promised, smiling.

He chuckled lightly and closed his eyes. "And for the love of Wonderland, don't let go unless I say so," he said.

I laughed, my arms around his neck. "I won't," I said. "I'll never let go again."

*******

Subscribe to my YouTube at: Melanie Eberheart

Donate to my Patreon at: patreon.com/MelanieEberheart

Or follow me on Tumblr at: nekosaysmeow333

-Nekoco