“So you’re expecting bad luck today?”

“So far, I’ve been proven right about that.”

“Maybe I can make your day better,” Jared said, smirking at me as we walked by classrooms full of students.

I honestly had no idea where we were going. I was walking aimlessly trying to find any sign of the office. My parents had called about me coming in today, but I hadn’t really been there before.

“I’m sure you can. If you keep it up, I might end up with a black eye and a few broken bones by the end of the day.”

“You have so little faith in me,” he said, holding a hand to his heart and giving me a playful sad look.

I laughed at him and shook my head. He was charming, I couldn’t argue with that.

“Are you new?” Jared asked. He was walking by my side, with his hands in his pockets, looking at me every so often.

“Is it obvious?” I questioned.

I took out my phone to see it was 9:30. I’d arrived at school half hour ago, but I couldn’t explain where that time had gone.

“I wouldn’t say it was obvious, but if you were a student here, I would know. There is no way I would have missed you,” Jared said, giving me a cocky grin.

I gave in to a smile, but couldn’t help rolling my eyes at his flirting.

After pointlessly walking around for five minutes, I finally reached the office.

“This is my stop,” I told him, stopping outside the glass windows that were next to the office.

“You’re getting your schedule?”

“I’m actually enrolling. So, I’ll probably be a while.”

“That’s cool. Maybe I’ll see you at lunch?”

I nodded and waved at him as I entered the office. He stayed outside the windows for a little while, before making his way to whatever class he was going to.

It took another half hour to register and finally get my schedule, with a handbook and a map of the school. I heard the bell go off while I was in the office with the principal. He didn’t scowl at me for being so late. Instead, he was praising me for my good grades, which apparently is what “all students should strive for”.

I left the office at 10:10. Everyone was already in third period. I had Art during that hour, which was a relief. While I didn’t doubt myself with core classes, such as Math or Science, it was nice to have an easy going course before taking on the main classes.

As I made my way to my classroom, I started feeling anxious. It was late September and I was starting my sophomore year in a new school, far away from what I used to consider home.

Last week during my birthday party, my parents announced that since I was turning sixteen, it was time to move to a place more suited for us. Dad’s idea for a suitable home was in the middle of nowhere, in a town surrounded by trees and greenery.

The Legen

It all started when I turned thirteen. I was getting ready to go to my grandma’s house from my dad’s side of the family, to celebrate my birthday. I was really close to my grandmother and it was she who planned my birthday party.

“Cassidy, hurry up! We’re already cutting it close as it is!” My dad yelled from downstairs.

I was trying to put on my earrings as quickly as possible.