He promptly shoved that thought away because he most certainly did not want to think about how he acted with Bill.

Or Bill in general. Because if he got thinking about Bill he'd start thinking about his soft golden hair, that ridiculously comic smile of his that just set Dipper's heart aflutter whenever he saw it, those playful cerulean eyes, pupils dilated, face inching closer...

"Yo dude, what's up?" Dipper jolted at the familiar voice of Soos, his face flushing in embarrassment at what he had just been thinking.

"Oh, hey Soos. Bill making you work the holiday again?" He asked casually, though his voice cracked slightly towards the end. Soos smiled, shaking his head.

"Nah man, I volunteered. These wealthy types tip real well. Plus, Melody is spending New Years with her sister."

"Oh, really? I didn't know Melody had a sister?" Dipper asked, glad for the conversation. His sister had abandoned him in favor of walking out onto the dance floor with Pacifica.

A part of him angrily wondered why she had even wanted him to come.

An even bigger part reluctantly admitted that it really didn't matter because Bill would have roped him into it with or without his twins help.

Dipper released a long sigh. Between his sister and his boyfriend he often felt he was losing control of his life.

Not that he minded, really. He'd accepted his fate the same day he'd accepted his feelings for Bill.

"Yeah, and get this dude, she just gave birth to twins! Small world right? Of course, they were both girls, but you get my meaning..." Soos trailed, and Dipper nodded, smiling reassuringly.

"Yeah, that's really cool Soos. Tell Melody's sister congratulations for me." He said honestly, and the larger man nodded.

"You can count on me dude." Soos set a glass filled with ice on the table, pouring a thin amber liquid into it before pushing it towards Dipper. "There you are, Brandy on the rocks."

Dipper took a drink, swirling the glass before taking a sip. The alcohol hit his mouth like gasoline before mellowing into a woody, smoky after taste.

"Thanks." He sighed, taking another swig. He sat there alone for a while as Soos went back to making drinks for the other customers, occasionally pausing to chat with Dipper before setting back to work again. Finally he set down his now empty glass, his mind softly abuzz from the alcohol.

"Hey Soos, have you seen Bill anywhere?" He asked, and his friend shrugged, handing a young woman a mint julep.

"Mr. Cipher said he was going out on business." He wiped his hands off on a rag before tucking it back into his apron. "I guess it's taking a bit longer than usual." Soos shrugged, and Dipper nodded.

"Yeah. Okay. Could I get another round?" Dipper pushed his glass forward, and Soos beamed.

"Of course!"

Dipper watched the pale liquid crash about the ice, slowly filling his glass.

He wasn't disappointed. Really.

Still, he felt his chest ache slightly at the thought of not being able to see the blonde. He'd just seen him the day before, and yet...

"Cheers." Dipper lifted his glass to the empty air before taking a long swig, allowing himself to drown in his halfhearted sorrows for just a little while longer.

"Excuse me, Barkeep? Could I have a Manhattan?" There was movement to Dipper's right as a man moved to ill the empty seat there.

"Sure dude." Soos said, happily setting to work on the order.