Chapter 49: Fighters.

"Does this hurt?" Carl asked putting a wet cloth on my bruised and scratched cheek. I flinched at the sting.

  "Ow! Yes." I replied to Carl who was helping me clean up my face as I sat on the bathroom counter.

As he was wiping my wounds, I studied his face. I could tell he was thinking. He seemed upset. He didn't even have to say anything for me to know that something was wrong.

"What?" I asked him. It took a few seconds for him to reply.

"This shouldn't have happened." Carl said wiping some blood off my nose.

"Hey, it not your fault. Besides I've dealt with much worse pain than this before." I assured him. He half smiled. It was silent for a few seconds.

  "Okay, done." He said putting the cloth down. I hoped off the counter.

"Thanks." I said with smile. "Wanna get out of here, go for a walk?" I asked him.

"Sure." He replied.

  We walked downstairs, Rick and Daryl were at the front door talking about the hilltop deal. Rick told us about it when they first got back, so Carl and I already knew about it.

"The hell happened to your face?" Daryl asked.

"Nothing big." I replied. Rick already knew because Tara and Sasha told him.

"We are going to have a meeting, with everyone about the deal with hilltop, at the church. I would like it if you two stayed back." Rick told us. Carl and I nodded.

We waited for everyone to go to the meeting before we climbed over the back side of Alexandria's walls into the forest. We walked for a little while in silence before any conversation went on. I walked with my hands in my sweater pockets.

"What do you think about the Negan thing? About going and killing his people for hilltop?" I asked Carl.

"If that's what it takes, to keep this place going, then I guess." He answered. "What about you?"

"I don't know. We have very little knowledge about Negan and his group. But they would've found us sooner or later, especially after Daryl killed some of them on the road. I guess it's better to end the war before it starts." I replied. "I just hope none of us have to die." I added on. Carl looked at me.

"We know how to fight. We will be okay." He told me. I gave a weak smile. Even though this group is smart and strong, I still have a gut feeling that something bad will happen if we face Negan. We don't know that much about them. But it really isn't up to me to decide. I trust Rick. I always have.

A few hours later it was dark out. Carl and I were back in Alexandria. We were sitting in Carl's room playing cards when Rick called us down to the living room. We walked down the stairs. Carl and I sat on the couch. Rick and Michonne were standing.

"We are going to the compound tomorrow." Rick informed us. Wow we aren't wasting any time, I thought. Carl and I both nodded. "So I want you to keep these with you at all times." Rick said handing us both a pistol. Carl and I glanced at each other before taking them.

"Thanks." I said. Rick nodded.

"You guys should get some sleep. I'll wake you up in the morning before we leave." Rick told us. We both started to head up stairs. "And hey!" Rick called, Carl and I both turned around. "Sleep in separate rooms." Rick said. We both let out a small laugh.