1 - Death

My digital watch beeps signalling that it's time to go home. It's been a long day writing notes for my Phycology class and I can't wait to get home and read. Picking up my textbooks I stand and head for the glass door at the front of the 6th form library, the door is covered in brightly coloured notices, 'apply for university', 'drummer wanted'. The whole building is like Hogwarts, high vaulted ceilings with delicate paintings etched into them, and large windows with lead to hold in the pains, but with a few modern touches, computer work stations and TV's that play the school's news feed on repeat, these have all been turned off for the night so instead of showing the school logo the have dark screens and no noise comes from the motors inside them.
Rain splatters on the windows as I make my way outside, typical British weather; dark, moody clouds and very little sunlight. I grab my pink Ipod from my front pouch and put my earphones in, Halsey blasts into my ears as I begin my long walk home.

I open the red front door to my family's home, a four bed detached house. It's in one of the nicer areas in the city with loads more space then we need. I enter the porch and take off my soggy converse - fortunately we have underfloor heating so they'll be dry in no time I place my school bag next to them, hopefully none of my notes got ruined in the torrential downpour. "I'm home" I call out, expecting the usual reply of "welcome home Honey!" But it never comes. I open the kitchen door and a strong smell of rotten eggs hits me, my eyes begin to water from the terrible stench. Mum must have been making egg and cress sandwiches for tomorrow's party, they're always a crowd pleaser. "Mum?" I call out again, but there's still no reply.
I begin to walk back through the kitchen upstairs when I notice a mug set up with a tea bag inside. I frown, and stick a finger inside. Stone cold. I've never known a member of my family to leave a cupper before. I leave the kitchen and slowly walk up the wooden stairs, my feet ecoing around the empty house. "Mum?" I call out for the third time. I walk to my parents bedroom and open the door, I stop dead. A shattering scream erupts from me as I take in the scene before me. My mother dead, lying on the bed her throat like a red glistening red eye in the low light and my dad, who was suppose to be at work next to her, his head at an odd angle. I can tell instantly that his neck is broken. My knees crunch into the wood floor as I drop to them. Another earth shattering scream fills my ears. I jump to my feet and run. Down the stairs, through the hall and out the front door. I grab my phone from my pocket and dial 999.
"Hello what's your emergency?" Comes the voice from the other end.