The Parents (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

"Of course not!" Scott's mom examined Vincent carefully, looking him shamelessly up and down, "Nice to meet a friend of my baby. He never brings anyone home anymore. Too bad it wasn't a girlfriend instead!" She laughed, holding out a hand.

"Ha... ha..." Scott rubbed his arm awkwardly, looking nervous.

Vincent shook Scott's mother's hand, "Mrs. Adams. It's a pleasure."

Scott snapped his attention to Vincent and met his eyes, If you flirt with my mother I will kill you.

Vincent, yet again, had to suppress a grin. He considered kissing Scott's mom's hand just to tick him off, but decided against it. He was here to support Scott tonight, not antagonize him.

Mrs. Adams smiled, "And here they say chivalry is dead! Please, call me Robin. Andrew!" She yelled, "Come meet Scott's friend!"

A man appeared beside Robin - presumably Andrew. He had a few grocery bags in his hands. He was actually quite tall, and had Scott's dark brown eyes. His hair was black, but his facial structure was quite similar to Scott's.

"Hey, there," Scott's Dad grinned lopsidedly, holding out a hand.

Vincent shook his hand, "Mr. Adams. Good to meet you."

"And you too," Andrew walked over to Scott and tousled his hair, "Good to see you, too, champ. Let me go put down these groceries and I can come back and say hi properly."

Scott watched his Dad go, shoulders lowering slightly. He sighed, looking at his feet.

"Everything alright, Scott?" Vincent asked, trying to snap him out of his obvious bad mood, "You look upset."

Scott lifted his head, meeting Vincent's eyes, "Upset? Me? No, no, I'm totally fine. Thank you for asking, though."

"Just making sure," Vincent leaned against the wall, watching him carefully.

Linda came running into the room, "Scotter the Otter! C'mere, you useless brother!" She virtually jumped on him, wrapping her arms around him.

Scott stumbled back, but chuckled, hugging Linda back, "Talk about it, you evil witch. You're the reason I'm here tonight, remember?"

Linda grinned, letting go of him and looking over at Vincent, hand on her hip. She looked him up and down like Robin had, "That's right. You've got some big news for us tonight, don'tcha, Scott?"

"Big news?" Robin looked from Scott to Linda, "What do you mean, 'big news'? Ooh, this is exciting!"

"I-It's really not," Scott said, "It's... it's not really good news..."

"But it's not bad news?" Robin asked, concern filling her face.

"Well... Maybe not. It's just... news. Big news," Scott shrugged slightly, then changed the subject, "But anyway, I don't want to talk about that! Let's, um, talk about something else."

"No, no, wait. What's this news?" Robin started.

Vincent jumped in, "Actually, Scott, I'd love to see your room. You have any stuff from when you were a kid?"

Scott blinked at him for a moment, then grinned at him gratefully, "Yeah, sure. Linda and I shared a room. C'mon, I'll show you." He paused, then added, "Linda, you come with too. No giving away my news before it's time."

Linda rolled her eyes, but followed after Scott.

Vincent stayed back a little and looked at them. On closer inspection, Linda was a little bit shorter than Scott. There wasn't much in it, though. Her blonde hair must be dyed, because neither of their parents were blonde. Ah, yes. The roots on the top of her head were black.