5) Caught

Lily felt tremendous guilt all the way leading up to Friday.  Not only had her parents fully accepted that she was going to be apart of a study sleepover, her father even went out to buy her a sleeping bag while her mother made sure she was taken care of in the snack department. It made her shameful - she allowed the glossy redhead Abby Miller to lie to her mother saying she was going to be somewhere she wasn't.

Lily never felt so much guilt in her life. There was really no way her parents could tell she was lying - this would be Lily's first. She's never been grounded before let alone in trouble. Her parents were oblivious to her deceit.

"Lils, just.....be careful, okay?" Patrick Grey said, a slight frown on him as he pulled the sleeping bag from the backseat to hand over. Lily got out of the car, trying not to let those five small words rattle her. There was no way her father could know what she was planning.

"Why do you always say that?" Lily asked with a laugh. "I mean it's just a sleepover."

Even though her dad had no possible way of knowing where it actually was that Lily would be, he often said things such as these in regards to safety. Be careful - keep your eyes open - watch yourself. Sometimes, it felt as though her parents expected the apocalypse to spring up out of nowhere at any given moment.

Lily found her dad spared her a small smile. "Sometimes, bad things happen to good people, kid. No rhyme or reason for it. That's why your ma and I always want you and Thomas to be cautious. It's the people who always expect trouble who are kept safe from it" he nodded seriously before chuckling lightly. "Alright, now get out of here you near adult. I don't really expect anything bad to come from two nights away from home - you're kind of a nerd." He nodded seriously, cracking up in a laugh by the fake appalled look Lily developed.

His comment was a joke, but she knew it was true - one of her pastimes were watching monster movies on the Scifi channel along with comic book reading with her little brother. Short of wearing a bright neon sticker that stated NERD, there was nothing really to hide the fact that she was one. Lily still proudly wore the Dr. Who charm bracelet her little brother surprised her with for her birthday three years ago.

"I'll call you guys tomorrow." Lily laughed. "This project is already annoying."

Her dad laughed. "You gotta tell me what the project is about when you get home - be excited. Showing the entire school research for a film project is awesome, Lily-bells!"

Lily bid her father a goodbye and proceeded on to her classes. She and Evie walked their stuff to the basement where JP told them to leave their supplies for later that night, and then they went off to their individual classes. The day went by far too fast for Lily's liking. Time sometimes sped when you least wanted it to. The small hands of the clock in her calculus classroom seemed to whiz by at a blazing speed, leaving the end of classes arriving before Lily knew it.

She dreaded the final bell ringing all day. Hiding in the basement all night while waiting for the swim team and glee club to go home seemed miserable just to think about. Lily had half contemplated calling her parents and admitting this entire thing was just a stupid idea stemmed from the film clubs leader, but she decided against it. She'd be considered a massive baby is she didn't follow through like everyone else was doing tonight. The mere thought of ghost hunting was somewhat nerve wracking, though. Even though she was highly skeptical they would catch anything genuine, Lily didn't exactly want to walk around an empty school in the dark with flashlights and cameras.

"Why so glum, chum?" Evie yawned, walking out of the music room to join Lily in the hall. The end of school on a Friday created a sea of people excitedly rushing through the halls to get home.