Kakariko

*Play the video to hear the Kakariko Village score from the original game*

"Pappi! Come look! I caught one Pappi!" 

Occula didn't dare break his gaze on the box propped on his work bench before him. Not now. Not when he was so close. If he just held on little longer, focused with just a little more effort...

"Pappi! Come Pappi! Come see-" His son's voice ended in an a shrill shriek, and he instantly turned towards the window. Silently cursing his own parental instincts, he reluctantly stood and pushed open the shudders and peered out into the village beyond. 

It was a beautiful day in Kakariko village, much to Occula's displeasure. The gleaming sun was magnified by the lenses he wore and it pierced his eyes which were tuned to the darkness of his work bench. He cupped a hand to his forehead and looked for his son. He wasn't hard to find; All he had to do was follow the mess of feathers littering his neighbor's lawn, the obnoxious Arachnia family. In front of their lofty house, his son was chasing a screeching cucco in a tight circle, a cheerful smile on his face. 

"It's okay Pappi! I fell over the edge but the cucco carried me down! Now I have to catch him again, watch me Pappi!" 

Occula let out an exasperated sigh and rubbed his eyes beneath his lenses, muffling the dull headache that was already starting to form from the glare. He was just about to close the shutters when he heard, "Hey Occula! Get your bloody kid off my property or they'll be hell to pay!" 

He didn't even have to look to know who was yelling. He gritted his teeth and called back, "He's just playing Reginald, he's a boy, it's what they do." 

"That's what your boy does maybe!" The voice called back, "Running around like an animal, screaming and messing with my livestock, does my front yard look like Lon Lon Ranch to you?"

When Occula didn't respond, Reginald continued relentlessly, "Hey Four-eyes, I asked you a question! You of all people should be able to answer with those fancy eye-windows of yours. I asked-"

"No Reginald, your front yard does NOT look like the ranch." Occula spat.

"Then why the in the name of the Goddess is your boy acting like it is?" 

Occula turned and glared at Reginald, casting venom into his gaze as best he could. The man was clad in his spider-silk cloak as usual, a luxurious garment that would have cost Occula a year's salary, even without the golden skulltula pin clasping it together. May a curse take that man, he mused silently as he called his son to leave the cucco and come back inside. 

His son's cheerful smile faded in an instant as he very sullenly marched towards his father, completely oblivious to the exchange that had just taken place. When his son reached the door, Occula placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and said, "Come on inside Vera, why don't you help Pappi with his work today?"

"Your work's boring Pappi." His son mumbled sullenly, "I want to catch the cuccos."

"The cucco's will be there tomorrow, and that obnoxious dolt Reginald will not since he has work at Lake Hylia (thank the Goddess), so you'll be able to play with them then." He cast a sneer over his shoulder at his neighbor, "And I'll have you know that your Pappi's work is not boring." 

"Yes, it is," His son teased with the blunt honesty of a seven year old, "all you do is stare at that box all day long." 

"No, I stare at what's inside the box all day long, without opening it." His father said, taking his son and propping him onto his knee at his work bench. Before them both was a little chest, the lid closed tight.