Chapter 1

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Elric,

While this is not usually done, we ask of your assistance in guarding a student. We are in a dire situation, and he is the only hope for us to prevail. You would be guarding Harry Potter, if you so choose to accept. We have already received a confirmation from another creature we have asked for help along with relieving extra security from the Ministry, but I beg of you to accept as well.

If you do choose to accept, we are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. You will find enclosed all the necessary books and equipment needed for a third year, the year Mr. Potter is in. I'm sure you'll have no trouble being placed ahead.

The term begins on 1 September. We await your reply to our proposal.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Well, this was odd. He hadn't had contact with the wizards in such a long time, much less than be asked for help by one. They must be desperate if they sent an owl asking for him to protect a kid, considering his kind brought death. The other creature brought in must not be any better than him though, if they were willing to plea for help from him. The offer sounded interesting though, so he decided to accept.

He placed his head on top of his neck, drastically decreasing the amount of billowing black material that left his neck. One hand was placed where his head and neck met, the other keeping his head upright by holding his hair; he focused on his magic on changing his clothing into resembling a human's attire more, and creating a special shirt with a collar able to keep his head from falling off while he wasn't holding it. He only did this when he saw the kids, and he wanted to see them off tonight.

He made his way to the human village, silently sneaking into the houses of the human children he had befriended over the years. One was a little boy named Alphonse, who looked quite a bit like him and called him Brother, and the other was a girl named Winry who was a year older than Al and actually made automail for him. He'd been born with deformities, a first for his kind, but luckily had his horse to get around with and it's not like his disabilities affected his work. When little Winry was eleven, she finally realized he was missing an arm and a leg, she worked with her grandmother to make him automail. He was going to miss the two.

"Brother? Why are we out so late?"

"Did you break your automail again?" Asked Winry, bringing out a wrench she always seemed to keep with her. "You stupid faerie."

He was about to nod no, but remembered what he came for: to say goodbye. These kids were worth the one conversation he was allowed a year.

"No, I didn't break it you stupid automail otaku." They both gasped at this. Not at the rude remark that was layered with endearment, but for the fact that he had actually spoke.

"Brother?" Said Al, tears beginning to pool in his eyes. They both knew something was going to happen, something important enough for Edward to actually talk to them.

"I'm leaving."

"Y-you're leaving?" It was Winry who spoke this time, tears now streaming down her face as well.

"Yeah, I am. Some people need my help and I'd be a shitty person if I didn't help when I could. Besides, it's in your best interest for me to leave."