Chapter 41: Connor, cold as ice

Start from the beginning

-"Now YOU listen! This is the last time I'm going to ask any favor from you-I need you to make a left!"

-"Why!?"

-"I have to search for someone...!"

-"Oh, come on..."

-"Can you stop being like this and help me!?"

-"Oh! I think I have helped you far enough for a lifetime."

-"What the hell is that supposed to mean!?"

The car's constant honking proved to drive Troye mad, as he pressed on the gas and the car advanced forward.

-"Make the left!"

-"I don't have time for this..."

-"Troye...!"

-"Oh my God SHUT UP! You're gonna make me crash the ca-!"

Troye realized what he was saying a couple of seconds too late. Connor didn't react, but it was obvious in his expression that it had hit close to home. Troye gave out a long sigh, and he stopped the car with the emergency lights on.

-"... I'm sorry. I just don't understand what is going on, and I only want for this night to be over..."-Troye explained.

-"... Fine, then, I'll just get down here and walk there."-Connor said choking on a sob, removed his seatbelt, and exited the car without looking back at Troye.

Troye called out for Connor, but he wouldn't mind his voice. Connor walked, difficultly, through the falling snow and flooded sidewalks, crossing the street to the left turn, and effectively spotting a familiar neon sign down to street.

"Losey's Inn".

Before he could tell, he was already running at full speed at the building, with Troye right behind him; he had parked the car right where he had left it.

-"Connor! Connor! Connor, where are you going!? What is that place...!?"

Troye saw the sign, and connected the dots. Suddenly he stopped yelling at Connor, and remained dead silent. When they both reached the main door, Connor started knocking the main door harshly. They could see the lights inside were on; the staff was probably still there working.

-"Open up! Please!"-Connor almost begged.

The door effectively opened, with the unfamiliar face of a maid that had to be around their age who just seemed too interest in whatever music she was hearing on her headphones to pay any attention to the pair. Connor busted right in, with Troye slowly following right after. All the way down the main hallway and up the stairs. One story, two, three, and in no time Connor stopped in front of the door he had memorized, just like its owner. At first, he raised his knuckles to knock, and Troye observed. He paused to breathe for a second, thinking about what he could say. And then, he gave a tentative couple of knocks on the door.

-"Red...?"-he whispered, not expecting an answer, but a miracle-"It's me... are you... are you in there?"

No response.

Troye observed standing still, not moving a muscle, as Connor pressed his forehead against the door. Then, he remembered one trick Red had taught him the last time he had been there. He turned to his left, and crouched next to one of the potted plants they kept indoors. It was a small tree, not too fancy, but at least it gave a little life into the earie atmosphere. He remembered Red told him she had even named it.

-"Hello, Sarah..."-Connor said, searching through the moist soil inside the pot-"I see you've been watered, that's good..."

Eventually, he found the key he was looking for. After dusting it off, he stood back up, ready to open the door to Red's private suite. He thought about turning around to look at Troye, but stopped himself from doing so.